Chopped hind leg off customers dog with mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Aug 7, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

This happened a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had the chance to jump on Lawn Site.

I have a Beagle named Penny that rides around with us wile we mow. I usually tie her on a leash out side the truck in this heat. Well there's certain customers that allow me to let Penny off the leash and play with there dog. I actually look for forward to mowing these yards because Penny can run around and get exercise.

So I just got done getting permission from the customer. I always ask before taking Penny off the leash. I fired up the blades and started my way around the front of the house, looking down at the left side of the cutting deck. As I came around the side of the house, the two dogs came out of no where on my right side. The customers dog ( a big chocolate lab) slid right into the mower with a big Boom!!
    I looked up and saw that the dogs right rear leg was chopped off. She was trying to stand but obviously couldn't. She was also bleeding bad ( Im sure you understand ) On top of that Penny was going berserk after seeing that. I almost had to pinch my self, becouse I couldnt beleve what had just happend. I shut off the mower and ran back to the house telling the customer what just happened. She gave me the key to her SUV and I backed it around the side of the house to the dog.

Luckily she got the dog to the hospital in time. She could have bleed to death. Shes just going to be a 3 legged dog now.

The customer later said it was an honest accident. Shes not going to sue me or anything. I'm going to give her her cuts for free for the rest of the year. She dosent know this yet.

But Iv learned something important. No living thing that you care about is to be near the mower wile its running. You forget how dangerous these machines are until a freak accident happens. I was having a regular day until I chopped the dogs leg off.

One of the things that bothers me is. The dog is a family dog that the kids would play with. Good luck trying to teach the dog to fetch a Frisbee now. I couldn't sleep for days, or get the thought out of my head.

Be Careful everyone!!

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

i think its great that you are gonna cut for free....my customers get mad when i tell them that nobody/living thing can be outside when im there..but this is why i had to enstate this policy...sorry about that situation....i knwo you fell terrible...cheer up tho matey:drinkup:

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that sucks but I would NEVER bring my dog on the job site and DEFINATLY not let them run around while I mowed. I can think of 1000 things that could go wrong. You are extremely lucky if they don't sue.

Jeff

4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

One of my dogs isn't to bright when it comes to equipment and I'M always having to run her off when I'M mowing. As hard as this is for me to read....makes me sick to think about it....thanks for posting it. I'M going to put Mis Hovey up from now on when I mow and I'M ashamed I haven't been all along. Sorry you had to experience this. Dogs are quick and I can see how you would have had no idea it would just run into you like that. Dammm Shame.

5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I'm so sorry ! The good thing is that the dog is still alive and will recuperate. don't be surprised........the dog may be very resilient and still run and play with the kids. I hope these dogs in the links below help put a smile back on your face::)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2322849743749379276

http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2054392380875636691

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's why I don't like when kids want to help me cut and use the mower.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The dog will certainly adapt, they can do quite well on three legs, however NEVER forget what happened, pets do not belong near running equipment. Ever.

A guy I know well for the past 30 or so years had his 18 month old nephew's legs cut off by his father when he backed up his riding mower. Both legs are stumps.

8. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

I learned this lesson 35 years ago when one of my good friends lost an eye due to a mower kicking up a rock. His dad had removed the deflector chute because he thought it was a PITA. I was 14 at the time and this has stuck with me ever since.

My rule has been no people or pets outside when I mow and I never run without a deflector chute or a mulching plate in place. When I see people doing this I remind them of the risks and of course most think I'm nuts. I get angry when I see neighbors letting little Johnny ride on their laps when they mow with their lawn tractors. I guess no one thinks a tragedy will happen to them.

Hurting this dog was tragic but as was said above the dog will be resilient. Thanks for sharing this news because it is a reminder to all that powered equipment is dangerous and we've got to remain diligent at all times when we are using it. I'm sure this will stick with you for a while but it was an unfortunate accident and it sounds like the customer is one of the good ones that understands this.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

it was an accident, it is great that you are giving them free cuts, ide do the same thing, and i totally understand how you couldn't sleep, that's got to be a very hard thing to witness. The only time i bring my dog to work with me is when i plow since its cool and she can stay in the truck. very sorry to hear about this accident, i really hope you can get through it soon enough.

10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

As the above posters say the dog will adapt to having three legs, i have seen a sheep dog with two legs believe or not, both legs on the same side of its body and some how can balance and run etc, for people that do not know being blind does not bother a dog either they will adapt to there surroundings, i would suggest the dogs play after you mow the lawn if theres time, no need to stop having a little play after the jobs done.