Chopper Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mloolara, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I bought the Coatesville Classic 50 " deck with the 20 HP Kohler and added the air filter system. Any tips on how to use this mower as I have never used a ZTR before. Particularly, any tips on start up, cutting speed, and maintenance including cleaning the deck (both top and bottom). Look forward to getting your advice on these and any other tips you may have learned. Thanks!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The best way to learn how to drive a ztr is practice. The more you do it the better you get. I'd say when you start mowing you will tear up your yard a little until you get used to the machine. One thing that might help you is when you are going to turn don't just spin your mower around and make a turn but make a Y-turn. Its kindah hard to explain but instead of making the full 90 degree turn just turn about half way, and back up and turn the rest of the way. That will help keep the mower from tearing up your yard when you turn. As far as maintenance goes just read you owners manual and do what it says and you should be fine.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

As easy as the steering controls are on those things.........it's easier to keep it straight by driving it with one hand.........I use my left and grab both levers. Just try it and use your wrist to move each lever independantly. As for cleaning the deck.............I never do, it cleans itself!

4. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

You don't clean the deck at all? Tell me more about this.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Hers a tip GET AN EXMARK! :blob3:

6. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I bought a Chopper last week so you're tip is not a good or useful one.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Keep the oil clean. Don't just follow the the recommendations in the manual. Many times, especially in dusty conditions the oil will get very dirty before the oil change is due. My owners manual says 50 hours for the oil 100 hours for the filter. I change both at 40 hours, less if I've been mowing in dusty conditions.
    Keep the air filter spotless. If you have the Donaldson canister style filter keep it clean and use a new filter rather than trying to blow the old filter clean. The cost of a new air filter is nothing compared to a new engine.
    Grease all the lubrication points on a regular basis. Don't skip any maintenance requirements. If you take good care of your mower it will last a long time and give you very few problems.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I know I was just bein Smart They look like awsome machines