1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chopper broke; Need Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Today I drove 50 miles and picked up a D.C. WD2600 demo machine to try for a few days. Brought it home and put it to work on a customer's 1 acre lawn. It ran 5 minutes and overheated. I found that radiater fan is not running. Dealer has no idea what to do to make a field repair and says I'll have to haul it back in. That will cost me another two hours of wasted time. Any of you Chopper owners got any ideas how I might find and fix this problem myself.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Quick Eric, delete this thread before any non-DC owners read it!
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Eric should be able to help you with this. This is his baby!
    Are they electric or engine driven? If they are an electric powered fan, is it getting power? If not, where does it come from, temp sending unit? This should be an easy fix, even though it messed up your day! ALL mowers will and can break!

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

The same thing happpened to me when I demoed a DC 50HP diesel two seasons ago. The problem was an electrical connector. The connector looked okay until I touched it and it came apart. I reconnected it and it worked fine. That connector is between the engine and the radiator.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It has a automobile type fuse for the fan. It is located down by the starter area. There are several fuses there. I hope this helps. Email me if you need to or come to AOL chat. ERICatELM is my SN.

After I hit the submit button I noticed Weve's post. A connector sounds more like it, since the fuse shouldn't blow unless the wire or fan was shorted out. As Larry said, the connector is between the motor and fan, down low.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-22-2001 at 10:42 PM]
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the suggestions. The connector is corroded inside and I can't get contact even after some cleaning. I have run a wire direct from the battery to the fan-side of the connector and the fan now runs all the time. I hook up the wire before I start the eng. and unhook it when I shut down. Now I am going out and try this monster in some heavy weeds and grass. THanks again.