Chopper or Exmark Lazer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jun 9, 2001.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I will be buying one or the other soon, what are some of the little things that I might not notice that make one better or worse. Both are sold and serviced at my dealer, and have been forever, so thats not an issue. It will be a 52 inch lazer, or a 50 inch (I think thats what they make) chopper. Thanks.

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search there was a big post on this. A guy test drove both and wrote about it. In the end i beleive he went with the chopper

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You have the same decision to make that I did last year. I loved both machines. In the end I went with the Lazer. The main reason was that the exmark has a true mulching kit that makes the lawn look like it was bagged, and by putting on the ultra vac I could do leaf removals.

The hydros are different, but in my opinion didn't make any difference to me.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Dixie chopper last year,but if I knew then what I know now,I would've got the exmark.It turns out my exmark dealer is much more aggressive in lawn care,the Dixe dealer,while good to me,is more of a tractor sales place,and Dixies really arent a major part of his business.The exmark dealer only does lawn care,and exmark/bobcat/grasshopper,so he has a lot more in stock and caters to me better.If you have a great dealer Id go with them,so long as their product is top notch,and fits your needs.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lynn Gorell posted that if you mention to Kohler that you have over 3,000 hours on a Kohler engine, they said you must have a Dixie Chopper. This is because of the extra air and oil filters, will increase the longevity of the machine. I have over 3,400 hours on my oldest Chopper now and it still runs good and is used daily.

They are both good mowers, so demo them both and see which is best for you.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have a lazer and can highly recommend them.
    just for fun i suggest you demo a hustler z.
    man that thing is smooth.

7. go with the exmark

dixie choppers can't cut any places that follow OSHA or any other
    guidline enforcers!

chopper blade speed is to fast OSHA allows a blade speed of 18500fps
    if i'm not mestaken and dixies are 19000+

I had 2 choppers and got 6000+ hrs out of them and only repowering one
    but i couldn't bid on some munispals while using them on those jobs

i will stick with the LAZERS there more comfertable to ride

TRY THEM BOTH AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!

HAVE A NICE DAY

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

That has to be a first! I've never heard that one. If OSHA is a Govt. orginization and the Govt. sets the limits on blade tip speed then why would the govt. not follow the govt.'s own ruling?

A little throttle control would bring that blade tip speed right on down wouldn't it?

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree Homer. It doesn't make any sense at all. You can turn up the RPM's on a Lazer and it would be over the standards as would any mower. This sounds like total BS to me, since any mower with a gas engine can be turned up to exceed OSHA standards.