chopper or scagg

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rob b., Apr 3, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

There is so much more things that Dixie chopper has like white hydraulics, Ocdc, Long lasting deck pulleys, air cooled fans to keep the belts cool, standard hitch, amsoil filter, tuned exhaust, and fast ground speed.

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my dixie is 10 years old and the only repairs I have made are belts and tires and one weld. It still has the original spindle bearings in it.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours in 10 years.

4. ProMo

It has over 4000

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

4000 hours and no downtime whoo rahh for dixie.

6. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

scag built like tanks

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Scag and ours have been reliable and get the job done. I dont have any experience with a Dixie Chopper, so I cant compare.

8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at a Dixie Chopper, but after fighting a Dixon for so long, I'll never have another mower with a body on it! What a pain in the butt to work on! The virtually everything is easily accessible on the Scag.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not trying to argue with you here but what do you mean by body on the Dixie Chopper? It has a lift off floor pan, the stainless covers over the gas tanks are on hinges so they just fold out of the way (with the tanks attached to them). Even the front cover over the hydro filters and oil tank easily unbolts for easy access.

10. ProMo

I would say dixies are the easiest mower I have ever worked on If you can get one to break.