chopper or scagg

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rob b., Apr 3, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i would go with the scag every used chopper i've seen looks like it is on its last leg. i think that they go so fast that they rattle themselves to pieces. and the deck always look pretty messed up also.

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

If that's the case, I stand corrected. When I looked at them, it looked like there was a cover over everything. The dealer was new, and he couldn't show me how to get to anything. That was last summer, and he's not a Dixie Chopper dealer anymore.

It looked like the stainless steel 'body' would show every scratch & ding. It looked more like a kitchen appliance to me, but I realize that has nothing to do with how it functions. Guess I'll have to go look at one again, but now we don't have a local dealer.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually the stainless holds up very well. Even the beaters on eBay don't appear to beat all beat up and stuff. An SOS or Brillo pad is usually all that is needed to bring the stainless back to "like new" appearance.

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have owned both and they are both good. scag is way more mower. the dixies are built great to the dixie 10 years from now could look almost as good as the day you bought it to.

5. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Scag is by far the better mower, hands down. I owned a dixie chopper up until last october when i purchased a new wildcat, so i have firsthand comparison knowledge on these two machines.
    Having owned both, i can say that the dixie chopper cut is no where near what a scags cut is, not even close. Before i had the scag i beleived my choppers cut was great, until i had the scag to compare it to. Now, i would say the dixies cut is ok to good, but no where near great. The dixie chopper absolutly sucks on hills. The dixie chopper will bounce your a$$ all over the place, will make you sore at days end. Maybe if your a homeowner and you mow once a week for like an hour or two it isnt bad, but when your mowing 10 hours a day all week long, the dixies will punish you, at least on the lawns in my area.
    I do like the dixies velvet touch control, and that is about it. The ocdc is a nonfactor, since you can get them mounted on any mower now.
    Though it shouldnt matter, the dixies are one ugly mower, and they look like a cheap homeowner model in comparison to a scag. My area im from is scag country. Most people around here never even heard of dixie chopper, probably because we have lots of hills around here, and they cant sell them i guess.

6. JAC

JAC LawnSite Member

DIXIE CHOPPER owners - advise PLEASE? I am just a homeowner with a huge lawn and 2 small pastures to mow. I have hills and slopes that are too steep for a regular riding mower. I may only once in my life be able to spend $5000+ on a lawnmower and I want to do it right the first time. I am looking at the Dixie Run Behind, because I can get off the stander, and walk it along the side of the 300 foot long slope-next-to-a-fence that I have to mow. Will any present owners of the Dixie Chopper RUN-BEHIND that have any experience or any comments please say something? Is there any other commercial grade mower that converts from walk-behind to rider like the RUN BEHIND? As a plain walk-behind, and I have to mow a 300 foot long rather steep slope - what would you recommend? PLEASE ADVISE?? thank you - JAC

7. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

I purchased a Dixie Chopper RBH just this year and am completely happy with the purchase. I use it mowing both level ground and hillsides and have not experienced any problems. Your results may vary depending on the pitch of the slope and terrain where you are located. I would recommend the unit but would also recommend that you have the dealer demo the unit on your property to make sure that it does the job the way you want it done. The steering on the unit can be a little tricky especially going downhill but it can be mastered given the opportunity.

8. JAC

JAC LawnSite Member

THANK YOU for answering - what would be a fair-good price for such a machine? I wish I knew how to measure the angle of the worst part of the long slope, but I have been able (with great strain) to make my Billy Goat brush mower go along it - but it is a fight every inch and I am straining with all my might to make it go straight. Any blade recommendations? What is it about the steering that makes it difficult or hard to learn? I went to the dealer today and looked it over again. I just love the "serious machine" look of it. Do you normally ride or walk yours? 3 John 2 JAC