1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Choppered Hype

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowman22, Apr 25, 2002.

1. mowman22

mowman22 LawnSite Member

Is it just me, or do you guys get paid to hype up these choppers and lazers? I have a Kubota ZD21, which is SO FAR and excellant, and I mean excellant mower. But I just couldn't stand it . I've been a passive reader of this forum for a while now. And all I've heard is DC this and Exmark that! So I went to a local dealer who just happens to Deal both brands. I demoed a 2002 Dixie Chopper XWD2600 60 inch and a 2002 Exmark Lazer Z EPS. Now I know that everyone is entitled to there opinon, but for my money I'm glad I own the ZD21.

1. The chopper diesel really doesn't have any more power and gets a good deal worse fuel economy.

2.The lazer doesn't have as much power and definately gets a whole lot worse fuel mileage.

3.They all 3 cut pretty much the same (I didn't get to try either of the two in wet grass, Kubota cuts wet excellant)

4. The hydrostatic deck on my Kubota I LOVE IT!

5.The Kubota has a built in jack using the front wheels and a few pins you can jack the mower up to service the deck.

6.The last and a biggie PRICE D.C.--$12500, Exmark--around $9200 and Kubota I got it out the door for $9100 flat.

That being said there is something I like about Dixie's, I don't know what it is , i guess its just a all American feeling you get when you look at one or watch them mow. There just kinda ruff and tuff you know. But I guess thats just a feeling in my heart.
    I TRY to make business decisions with my head. Which I believe is what I was talkin' about above. I welcome discussions about the subject.

P.S. They all 3 are great mowers!

P.P.S To Eric Erickson , a very friendly and very gifted man he really did make mowing a art R.I.P
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that opened the can. After this post I will return to being the passive reader and let the boys "discuss"this one. I don't own either but I demoed both. Never tried a Kubota, no real close dealer for me.

I have no other qualifications to discuss this one but I am curious as to what will come back.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Your entitled to your opinion.
  4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We recently put a Kubota Z head to head against a Hustler Super
    Z. The kubota is an ok machine,but the Hustler blew it away.
    Strength,cut quality and speed were all superior. Kubota decks
    tend to get stress cracking around the scalp rollers. You'll start
    to see them at around 700-1000 hours,becoming really bad
    at around 1200-1300 hours.
  5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I would assume one thing for the Dixie and Exmark vs the Kubota is market penetration.

If I'm not mistaken, the Kubota is a relatively new machine so not many people on the forum have been exposed to them, while Dixies and Exmarks have been around for a while and used by a lot of members.

It's only natural that people will support what they use and are familiar with.

I haven't noticed any Kubota bashing, just no exposure.

I think if it is a quality machine that it will continue to get more support on the forum as people like yourself use them and can provide positive reports.

By the way, I don't own any of the 3, but would look at all 3 if I were buying a new machine.
  6. mowman22

mowman22 LawnSite Member

southside ,

I have a 1998 G1900 18 hp diesel with 1600 hrs ,and haven't had but one small problem at 1000 hrs or so I got a short in the wiring for the gas and tempture gauge. But i haven't ever had any problem with my deck (54"), and alot of people around here have or have had this exact same mower. In fact my family has had more Kubota's than you can shake a stick at! My father owns a landscaping company , my grandfather (74) still mows thirty lawns a week (he says mowing is easy now compared back to when they used to get down and hand clipper to trim) and my great grandfather who died in 1986 worked his whole life in the lco arena. Anyway we've had a $hit load of Kubota's and other products , Kubota has alway been very tough to beat FOR ANY OF US. But thanks for all the responses

p.s. I have a Hustler Hydro 48" walkbehind 350 hrs, the major concern I have withe Hustler decks is when there is a little dew or even sappy spring (now) grass, you can mow about 10 minutes and the deck is just plum clogged up...UGH! or than that seems to be so far a great mower!
  7. It is hard to beat Exmarks cut and discharge ability.

The Kubota may be nice, I have never tried one.

It's not hype, just shows proven facts.

When a mower is so well proven like the Emarks and yes Dixie it makes hard to not hype your so well trusted equipment up.

There are 2 others that do well also, Gravely and Hustler.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree about the market penetration. Around here, there arent any Dixie choppers or kubotas. Ive seen one DC on a trailer, but never seen one mowing. Certain parts of the country are partial to only a couple of mowers. Around here, its seems scag, exmark and bobcat are seen most.
  9. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I've used Kubota's since I was 14. They are as strong and durable as any other lawn mower on the market.

Up here in Canada, especially the further North you go, John Deere and Kubota are the market leaders.....most people have never even heard of exmark and especially not Hustler or Dixie

I totally agree with the market penetration statement. Within 5o km of my home I have countless JD / Kubota and Husqvanra dealerships. And only TWO Exmark dealerships in the same radius....one of which doesn't even advertise that they carry exmark.

My opinion is that Kubota makes the best diesel engines, bar none! I have never used a Kubota ztr but I believe that Kubotas produce the best quality cut from a tractor style rider

All that being said.......I will be purchasing an Exmark Lazer HP within the next 10 days :blush:
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry for what I'm gonna say but it has to be said. I think the Kubota's are well made, very heavy duty mowers. But that crank up lift in the front for changing blades is IMHO nothing but fluff. I watched a factory rep demo one at a show last year and about fell asleep waiting for him to get it chanked up. Any feature that takes that long to operate isn't worth it. If I owned one I doubt very seriously if I'd ever use it. I'll stick with my Jungle Jack and have it up in about 2 seconds.