choppers exmarks & electric clutches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Nov 28, 2001.

1. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

I did not know they were adjustable ! learn something new every day :) :) :) :)

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its obvious why you should never start an electric clutch at high RPMs, but why are people saying you have to throttle down to disengage? This makes no sense to me. Just a thought.

3. raymow

raymow LawnSite Member
    from tampa

EXMARK VS DIXIE I PREFER MY EXMARK,
    MY DIXIE HAS USED UP MORE BELTS THAN I CAN RECALL
    BROKE 3 MANUAL CONTROL ARMS AND 2 PULLEY
    EXMARK HAS GONE THRU 1 E-CLUCTH SO FAR BUT UNDER WARR. MUCH TO DO WITH OPERATOR USAGE.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

1grnlwn,

The issue of throttling down before you disengage the electric clutch is MUCH more important than when engaging the blades. All of these electric clutches on mowers are also part of the safety interlock system. They are required to STOP the blades within so many seconds (cant remember how many 2-4 I think) from full speed. They actually are a BRAKE as well as a clutch. The longer the blades spin when you disengage them, the more wear you are giving to the brake clutch plates.

Starting the blades while engine RPM's are high is only a quick SHOCK to the clutch mechanism, no actual wear (or very little) is happening. Its the DE-celleration that wears them out.

Hope this helps.

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. Guess i will go buy a couple of throttle cables. LOL

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

TLS i can see why u were bugged. im just nosey enough, to step in there office and tell management their help was killing their machine.they would probably appreciate it an its another positive contact for u. finger nails on a blackboard describes it about right.
    i have always preferred simple to complicated,so i prefer manual engagement. i will say replacing my electric this yr
    on a 96 lazer,turned out to not be a big deal. later now.

7. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

i have a toro/exmark chasis 1999, 36 wb. with the manual (better described as belt) clutch. I hate it, All those linkages, I already had to replace them once at about 200 hours. The threads on one of the adjusters stripped, because there was too much play in another shoulder bolt. I had a machine shop make a special washer to remove the play from that bolt and it has been fine since. But before that I had to adjust the belt every 25 hours. The other thing is that the blades take about a minute to spin down with the blade clutch, and with an electric, the stop is instant thats a nice safety/productivity feature. For changing bags and stopping the blades to avoid obstacles. Also with an elctric cluch you get the automatic belt tensioner

8. JSG

JSG LawnSite Member
    from MI

The thing I don't like about manual blade engagement is the
    seemingly endless adjusting to get it set up right. Right when
    I think it works good I pull the lever back and the blades still
    turn. I just got tired of the hassles involved and only buy electric
    now. I'm sure some manufacturers have good settups but I'm
    not sure who they are.