Choppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 shot, Jan 21, 2001.

1. 2 shot

2 shot LawnSite Member

I am just starting a lawn maintence company
    for part-time work and was thinking of buying a
    dixie chopper BUT a good friend of mine has ran
    them in the past and said not to buy one.

He says the company is to small and they
    don't have good "customer service".
    From reading allof the prior posts they seem
    to be a quality product. Just wanted to get
    some feed back from more than just one person

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

They are small but big. They are well built and do a great job. I've never had to call them about anything so I wouldn't know. I have over 1000hrs on one and around 500 on another...........hmmmmmmm, nope never had to call them.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you just stepped init.Go to ERIC ELM PAGE
    NO OFFENSE INTENDED but there is much info there

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

WHAT :D

WHAT DID I SAY :D

I DIDN'T SAY NUTTIN :D

NOT ME :D

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

2shot, I have had 4 of them and I've had nothing but good luck with them and good support. This is a privately owned company, not a big company like Exmark, owned by Toro, or Great Dane, owned by John Deere, or MTD that owns several now. DC is a family owned company in Indiana that just keeps getting bigger and has been around for 20 years.

If you want to talk to more owners one on one, stop by my Chat Room for DC owners and chat with others. All you need is AOL Instant Messenger, downloadable at my Chat Room page.

If you want to see lawns cut by a Dixie Chopper, look at the pictures on my website. I feel they do as good of a job as any mower out there and they are like the Energizer bunny, they keep on going and going..........

Some have had bad luck with the 25 HP Kohlers, but others have had good luck with them. I would suggest the 23 HP Kohler, the Honda 24 HP or the Yanmar 26 HP diesel.

6. I bought my first Dixie Chopper back in April, 2000. It has the 25 hp Kohler on it and I have zero problems with it.
    You can also go to my website to see lawns cut with a Dixie. The next mower I buy will be a Dixie Chopper. Dealer support is important on any brand of mower you buy. My DC dealer is great, anytime I need something for mine, I just call them up and they ship it right to me by UPS. Take a look at the Dixie Choppers, you will not be sorry if you buy one.

7. 2 shot

2 shot LawnSite Member

Thanks all, I will keep these on my list of
    prospective buys in the mean time I will keep doing
    research on all prospectives.

thanks for the info

8. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I just repainted my first one bought in 1996.It works as good as the one I bought this year. Doesn't have an hour meter on it but I know it's got a lot of hours. At the present time I own three of them all alike 60 inch cut two with 22 horse and one with 25 horse engine

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

2 shot, it was likely the local dealer that your friend was saying was too small etc.

10. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

I wish these dealers would just give you the mower for the day and say , if it's not what you want bring it back at the end of the day no questions asked!!!!!!!!!!