chosing a cpa

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ant, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

what do you look for when choosing a CPA?
    for me
    1. has to be close to my shop so i am not driving miles to drop/pick up stuff
    2. has to compatible with my quick books program
    3. able to answer my questions without nickle and dime me..\
    4. able to get my stuff done in a timely manner
  2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

5. be proactive, able to catch things before they turn into problems.
  3. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Is a CPA --and not just an "accountant" as there is a difference. CPA's will have a college degree and in must cases a Masters also with specific training in math and accounting/tax procedures and must pass a State Exam and be licensed to become a CPA, while in nearly all states under the law anyone can call himself an "accountant" with no training, no education and no licensing or exams required at all. I think of a CPA as an accountant with the certification, when I think of an accountant I tend to think of what I would call a bookkeeper.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

One other aspect that is important, the type of work they are accustomed to doing. Our businesses are "small business" (for the most part) and the CPA should be experienced in working with small business accounts. In other words, a CPA typically doing work for large corporations may do great work for those clients, but may be unfamiliar with with the best answers for a small business.
  5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Go to quick-books website and look for QB certified CPA's. Theres a link somewhere on their site.

Thats how I found mine. Just enter your Zip and you will get a list of CPA's