1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Chossing a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJFox09, Apr 28, 2009.

1. JJFox09

JJFox09 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, this is a contiuation from my introduction thread to get a little more traffic. Im trying to find out which mower to get. I already have a 21" but I need something bigger. I really would like a commercial mower but cannot afford one at this moment. I also dont want a used mower that is going to break down on me all the time. I do not expect this mower to last me 10 years, just enough to get me through untill I can afford a commercial mower. So im looking at 33" walk behinds but cannot decide which one. Electric start does not matter for me. Let me know what yall think. Heres what I have so far:

One: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...+Mowers&sName=Self-Propelled+Lawn+Mowers#desc

Two: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188998000P?mv=rr

Three: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100626122&N=10000003+90401+528374

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote is for the Cub Cadet... The yellow is simply gorgeous:drinkup:

3. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

eeek...to be honest, all of those choices are blech...

I know you say you can't afford a commercial mower, but you can get a used one for a good price, just have to keep your eye out.

How many accounts do you have now, or anticipating on taking?

I'd hate to see you drop that cash on one of those, then you'd be kicking yourself in the rear in a few months.

If you have to choose between one of those, get the one with the best and longest warranty.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I vote for None of the above.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. I always hear the comment "That I can't afford a commercial one right now" with the money you miss out on making with one I don't see how you can afford to not have one if your in this business.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I agree. He'll waste money on anything he listed.

7. JJFox09

JJFox09 LawnSite Member

I have about 3 right now and want to be around 10 accounts by the end of this season. I do not want to go into debt to buy a commercial mower. If I decide by the end of the year that I dont want to be in the lawn business then I have a really nice mower for my self lol.

I just found a bunch of used commercial grade mowers on craigs list that are about the same price as those new craftsmans. I think I will take you guys advice.

I just realized I completely misspeled the title of this thread haha.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  8. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

If this is your part time gig, and you end up getting 10+ accounts, you are going to be very happy with a commercial mower. Once the money starts rolling in, you'll see.

9. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

what does chossing mean...

:)

10. JJFox09

JJFox09 LawnSite Member

Any good brands I should look for? Also how used is too used? Do you think a 36" belt drive would be a good idea?