Christmas Bonus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

How about bonuses for the boss. A thank you for supplying you with a job, steady income, and a honest way to contribute to the well being of society.

I recently was listening to some guys saying if I dont get my bones I will quit.
    How about a bonus for the boss who went out and made sure you had a enough work so you could get 40 hours,who while you were at home in bed fixed the very mower you broke that day, and spent thousands of dollars to start the very thing you hate working for so much!

How about a simple thank you for all you do!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!:laugh:
  2. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

If some one says there going to quit over not getting a Christmas bonus, then they are probally just looking for a reason to quit. But IMO I think that the bonus is away for the "Boss" to say thank you for helping me do what I couldn't do by my self, thanks for making me more money, that I couldn't make without you. Thanks for not pouring sugar in my gas tanks when I know I pissed you off at some point this year. But most of all I think that a Christmas bonus says please stay with me next year, I don't want to have to train a newb to do the job that you already do, and I don't want you to take my customers from me.
  3. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

If you are the boss, don't expect thanks, ever.
    But your employees will expect something in their hand around this time of year from you as a token of your appreciation, whether they've worked hard or not.
    That's life in business I'm afraid.
  4. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is where a little bit will go a long way.....or nothing will go a long way in resentment toward you. I have a part time employee who has only work for me for about three months now and only works eight hours per week. I decided to give a Christmas bonus equal to one days pay or eight hours. This is a weeks pay for this employee. I'm not saying I would have paid out a weeks pay if this person worked 30-40 hours per week....I'm not sure what I would have done? It all depends on the time and circumstance at hand. I do know it is something talked about in social gatherings amoung your employee's and their friends. If you're the one who did not pay out and the rest of the guys received some sort of bonus....then you'll be the d**k of the year in their book. Now if it is an employee that you wish would go away......I can see not encouraging them to stay with a bonus.
  5. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

Actually I was the guy that started the original thread, and never once did I say I would quit, NEVER! I am not telling anyone "Thank you" for a Job? Give me a break if it weren't for me, literally the business would have failed and thats the bottom line. Im not getting into any kind of depth on this issue and why I feel the way I do. But I dont stick my hand out for anything, hince working 80 hours a week... I earn it on my own... And to be honest I think it would be a legit reason to find something else for next year, not that I am planning on it, but thats the way I feel. But to thank someone for me busting my butt all year, you are nuts! I have been at this for a long time and have my sights on my own business soon, and this is a good lesson for me to remember if I ever have employees, and that is to show apprieciation. But in the grand scheme of this I appriciate what I do, I get myself through the day and will just pay MYSELF on the back.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

EVERYBODY is replaceable.
  7. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

beg to differ on that one...
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I guess for me, hard work & quality is the best way to say thank you to your boss - i.e. Making sure he/she is happy year long w/ your work ethic.

At the same time, a Christmas bonus is a way of saying thank you for going above & beyond throughout the year & for making sure that our goals were met.
  9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember you didnt get out there and spend the thousands of dollars to start it, work sun up to sun down, and take the chance of losing it all to start the wonderfull life of owning a business.

Remember this my friend a life lesson learned from exsperence, everybody is replaceable. Gods got somebody else it maybe a king david to replace a king saul!

I think around Christmas time we should count our blessings and say thank you, someone sacrficed alot so you could have a J-O-B.
  10. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

I did work hard and thats me thanking the boss. Showing up everyday is thanking the boss, not asking for anything is thanking the boss, doing the best work humanly possible is thanking the boss, while he was at his real job during the day and making everything run well for the business is thanking the boss. To be honest I am done "thanking the boss". It started out asking a simple question about if I should expect anything and exploded in this stupid b/s, that I should do this and I should be happy for that. Well I was doing all the work, so were the hell is my thank you? If I am to be replaced, good, it means I either started my own or moved on, and thats it. I pat myself on the back for all the great work I did over the year and thats all I need. Bonus - Smonush