christmas bonuses??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PKB005, Dec 17, 2003.

1. PKB005

PKB005 LawnSite Member

generally the last 10 years i bring the guys out for a nice dinner and usually give them either a $100.00 cash in a card or buy them all a gift worth about 100 bucks....carrhart coat or boots etc. what do you do ?? am i being cheap or generous??????:D

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I used to give $100 cash. Now I give 1 weeks pay. I also offer incentives on certain jobs to earn more bonus money. BUT, to answer your question....no, I do not think you are cheap. I'm sure they appreciate it.

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

not cheap. any gift is generous. but some could also be insults:rolleyes:

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my guys carhart coats and put my logo on them. They realy seem to love them for snow plowing and stuff, they where around 100 bucks a peace and we'll proly go out to dinner one night too. I think thats about enough.

5. Kent Lawn Care

Kent Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I take my guys and their guest out for dinner to a decent place to eat, nothing you need a suit and tie for, but definitly not a fast food joint. plus i give em a christmas card and $50.00. i figure thats enough, by the time all is said and done it adds up to about $100 per employee.

I like the Coat idea!!!!!!!! in my plans for next year!!!!!
    i got Carhartt sweatshirts for the guys in the fall, and suprising they payed me for half of what they cost, that was nice of the guys! but anyways, i really didnt think about getting them for christmas, coulda used the sweatshirts this year and the coats next year, lol!

6. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

We gave a 3 % bonus of there net yearly pay and a snowman basket from hickory farms- retails for 15 dollars. Sweat shirts and jackets are great ideas, we give out logo sweatshirts in Oct. and jackets in the Winter.

7. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I think if the bounes dont at least match there pay its a insult
    all the companies i worked for in the past if the guys only got $100 they would complain. what i do is take them all out for steak dinner if its a new guy i'll give him $100 if its a guy thats been here through think and thin i'll give him $500 the forman i give $2,000 but everytime a account has a complaint i deduct $50 from the $2,000 that way i know the forman will make sure everything is done right. these guys are working day and night if thats what it takes to get done, there working in the rain, the cold, dealing with leaves. i figure its only once a year and even if it cost me $4,000 its a small price to pay to keep them happy.
    in mid july i have a party at my house for the employees and there wifes/girlfriends/kids.

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Coats, Hats, sweatshirts are really appreciated by all the guys. Plus they are perks for your company's image.

9. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Bonuses? Sure, they GET to come back and work for me next year. Ta-da! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We give $100 and a work coat with our biz. name embroiderd on it. They love it! Actually they love anything with the logo. I bought some license plates awhile back for our work trucks and about ten extras to give out. They snagged everyone of the extras. Acted like Christmas came early!