1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Bonuses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strongmd, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

How does everyone handle their christmas bonuses if at all? Does everyone get one? Do you have to work for a certain length of time?
  2. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Each employee should be evaulated on an individual basis, on his/her performance, attendance, attitude... Length of service should be down low on the list.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

since I am the giver and reciever of my Christmas bonus, perhaps my opinion is less qualified than those of you with several employees.

I say give the bonus strictly on legnth of service. the guy that's been there three years deserves more than the guy that hasn't been there two years yet. this assumes that you have a good crew and all are produtive.

jaclawn's criteria sounds reasonable except that if you follow the criteria and you have an employee that doesn't rate much of a bonus, then the obvious conclusion is you shoudda let him go long before bonus time. but if it works for you, then go for it.

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I think that the best way to keep disention down among the ranks is just to give a standard bonus to eveyone. It could be a ham, $50 or whatever.

Just my $.02
  5. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

For the past 6 years, my boss has given me $100 in a card when I pick up my last check of the year. Very nice.

6. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

If you are going to give a bonus based on an employee's productivity then you should also give them a review along with thier bonus. Make sure you write the review and have a signed copy to put in thier file. This will protect you and your employee.
    If the Christmas bonus is a gift for the season then they should be equal for all employees ie. Turkey, Ham, or $$.

7. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Bonus $$ for the holidays is very,very important.
    We have found that by giving $100-$1000(based on yrs.
    with company,and dedication to making the business
    sucessfull)we get alot of return employees. If you
    dont reward these guys for their efforts, they,ll
    find someone that will. I dont know about your neck
    of the woods, but around here, good workers are
    difficult to fine,let alone keep.