1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Gift Offer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wegomow, Nov 30, 2012.

1. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering offering a a holiday gift certificate to my clients for something like a spring cleanup, a one time cut, "youse guys" up north can offer a sidewalk or driveway snow removal. They can purchase them and give them as a Christmas gift to a neighbor, friend or family member. Something like "give a gift, save a back" or "give the gift they'll really use!" Send it out via mail or email with a buy one and get a free Azalea planted in your yard or the recipients yard, (my wife and I have a very small little nursery where we grow plants, you could offer whatever extra you want if you don't want to purchase or plant anything). Of course with a limited time offer,to get them to act now. Like you must call by Friday to get this special gift certificate. Your thoughts?

2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

To each their own I guess, it is not something I would do. I do not like working on someone's yard without walking the property and meeting with the homeowner first. That cleanup or mow could cost you alot of money. What if the grass was not cut for weeks and they want their mow at that time. What if the spring cleanup takes 4 hrs? Way to many variables, could lead to more work or it could be a disaster.

At Christmas, all of my clients get a Christmas card. Customers that reach a certain revenue level also get a gift card. Nothing wrong with offering incentives for referals, but this idea seems like a disaster from the get go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your input. I see your point, I guess a quote on the job first would be sensible before setting the amount for the gift certificate sale. I still think the idea has merit and I agree it may not suit every business.

4. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It is not a bad idea to sell gift certificates but they should be for a certain value and not a service.

5. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I am interested in what your "revenue level" is for those clients? 4k/ year? I have a client worth about 6,500/year. Would that qualify for you?
    Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device