Christmas in July

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by premierholidaylighting, Jul 20, 2006.

1. premierholidaylighting

premierholidaylighting LawnSite Member
    from chicago

I was in the landscape industry for about 5 years and sold my business this past spring. I decided to go back to school and finish my degree. I was looking in to possibly developing another seasonal business, holiday lighting and decorations. I dabbled a little bit in it at my company last year and met a few other successful lighting contractors. It seems to be a simple high margin venture.

I have a few questions before I get to deep into this thou. Who do you use for insurance? I had Erie in the past (for landscaping and snow) and my agent said this is not something that they do. The focus would be the use of electricity, chance of overloading circuits etc.

How do you find staff to work for just a few weeks for you, I was thinking about hiring college kids possible paying a 1090? It is a short term gig and then I don't have to worry about payroll taxes and workers comp.? Looking for some advise from the veterans.

Does anyone rent vans/box trucks for the few weeks of put up and just put temp lettering of magnets on the trucks? Then you have fixed costs and don't carry the overhead for the rest of the year?

I am working with a consulting agency to help me develop a marketing plan for my area, but do any of you have any success stories of have samples of different fliers, ads, mailings etc.

I know that this was long thanks for reading and Thanks for your help. :usflag:
  2. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

Premeir- Our insurance which covers the landscape lighting biz covers that as well. Insurers used to code what we did with landscaping but no longer do so they put us in the category with electricians.
    As for staff the best place would be landscape companies they tend to lay off in the winter months and you will find that those workers will come back year after year, college kids in general do not have the work ethic for lighting (just my opinion).
    We rent several box trucks for the holidays and it is perfect!
    As for marketing we find that direct mail (card decks) companies are the best lead generators for this. Do the card with big photos on the front to draw attention.

Have fun!
  3. premierholidaylighting

premierholidaylighting LawnSite Member
    from chicago

sounds good firefly. I will look into finding some companies that lay off in the winter months. I agree that most of the landscape workers have a better work ethic.