Christmas in March!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mottster, Mar 9, 2005.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Well i must say, it's been real nice the past week around the shop seeing all the new equipment coming in after the old went out a couple months ago. Here's what we've purchased for our season, which starts next week, so far:

5 Redmax BCZ2500S Trimmers with Edgit discs
    1 Redmax HE225F Edger
    3 Husqvarna Back-pack blowers
    1 Snapper 21" 6hp kawi
    1 18ftx88inch trailer, with side gate and rear lift assist.
    2 Walkers: 1-42", 1-48" both 20hp with the 9.5 bushel grass catchers.
    3 Grasshopper 61" 227's

So yeah, there's been plenty of nice clean equipment coming in. Can't wait to get my hands on some of it in the next few weeks. :blob3:

What are the rest of you replacing, adding to your lineup this year?

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

So far:
    new to me 7x16" enclosed wells cargo trailer,
    52" stander
    split shaft echo srm-260 trimmer/edger/power broom/power paddle
    few hand tools

Still coming:
    F-350 4x4 diesel truck (hopefully by mid summer)
    Back hoe for my Kubota (after I get the truck)
    Blizzard 810 snow plow (hopefully before it starts to snow again)

Wish list:
    32" stander, 2 more 52" standers
    Bigger B series Kubota
    Dump trailer
    Dump truck with switch and go
    Mini Skid loader (toro 425x)

3. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

good god! mottster, do i dare ask how many accounts you have and how many crews you run? 2 walkers and 3 61's, absoutly amazing. Wish that I could prob do my entire county in a week.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I am hoping to add a little wonder and a larger trailer for the upcoming season.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

So far this year i've added a 6' X 16' trailer and a 48" Bob Cat

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like just a new 52" Stander and some RedMax 2 cycle equipment. I'm pretty well set for where I am. I did just pick up a new log splitter, but that is more for my own use. Have fun with your new toys, Mottster

7. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Our total Mower lineup is 3 61"s, 4 walkers, 5 21"'s, and 2 48" wb's.

We run 3 crews, one is our HOA crew, 3 guys, with 2 walkers and a 61 occasionally.
    Next is our Commercial crew, 2 guys, they usually run 1 or 2 61's with a walker now and then
    then i solo operate our residential crew, and i always have a 42 walker and half the time a 61"

I service about 80 yards, including all of the pizzahuts and sonics in the area a week, as well as a few sonics that are 25-40 miles away.

our commercial crew Mow a few large Theatre's in town, as well as York International and about 15 other larger commercial properties per week.

HOA crew handles our 8 HOA's...working on 2 more. Each HOA is the commons areas and the houses in the community. the HOA's average 28 homes per community.

We have a Fertilizer/pesticide techinician as well as a Sprinkler maintenance/light landscaping crew that work with the mowing crews in their down time. Most of our income is from maintenance, we're looking at 850k this year.

I'll take pics of all the new equipment and all our trucks as soon as i can talk my boss into letting me take the time to have everyone line up with all the equipment.

8. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

Thats amazing mottster. I'm only 16 but I have my own buisness (and yes i'm a proud walker owner myself) and hopefully I can grow my buisness to somewhere around there. How long did it take you or your boss i guess to build the buisness that large? How do you manage all the crews along with the work? Is all that buisness and employment worth it, i mean you must have a sh*t load of overhead. Also did u go 2 college, if so where and what was ur major. Sorry for all the questions but i decided a long time ago that this is what i wanted to do with my life.

- Matt

9. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Hey man don't worry about the questions. I like to type, as you'll soon learn. lol. I started mowing lawns when i was 12, this was me pulling my 21" Lawn Boy behind me 10 speed mountain bike going to about 5 different houses a week. I did my own lawncare all the way through my senior year of highschool, so i was about 18 when i learned about the ocmpany im at now. At that time i was servicing about 35 yards of my own per week...this was with HW and everything. it was getting hectic. My friend told me about the company he was working for and i went in for an interview and my boss hired me on the spot. Straight out of high school i started working for him full time. At that time it was just my boss, my friends, my boss's dad, and two other guys. We did about 200,000 that year...two years ago.

Now since then we've moved into a 5,000 sqft shop and added my boss's mom and his wife into the mix. Im now the director of operations, and my friend and another friend i work with are managers. Since we're still a farely "small" company, (2nd largest in area does 8 million a year) only 7 of us stay on FT through the winter, the three of us that are managers are the actualy crew supervisors. one for each crew. We actually do the work and then do all the communicating through the customers as well. This is how we maintain our quality. Being on the jobsite and knowing what the customers are saying first hand is a key for us. My boss, handles all the bidding and politics, his dad handles all the maintanence and legal stuff (pesticide, DOT, License plates, etc.), My boss's mom and wife do all the book keeping, payroll, scheduling and what not. All 7 of us are real close and we frequently go out to eat or just hang out. Now you have the 7 of us, then 5 other guys that come in to work with us, so there's 12 of us pulling 850k out of this industry. We work our butts off, but our ocmpany has one of the largest Profit Margins in our area so we are able to grow very rapidly.

BTW, only one of us 7 has any college experience. and thats an associates in business. Im going to school for my welding certificate with my friend. Other then that, i guess we've just been really lucky.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Additions in 2005 included:

F-250 pickup
    8.5 x 20 enclosed Haulmark trailer
    Ferris 3000 Z (61")
    Ferris WB (61")
    2 Redmax 2600 trimmers

That's it for the time being...