christmas lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by niteliters, Oct 12, 2006.

1. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

who's doing it? How long? what percentage of your business does this make up? How many in a crew? How much gross do you expect per crew (install) per season? rent or sell and store? LED vs incandescent..pros and cons. Who uses LED's?? what do you and your customers think?
  2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We've thought about doing it for a few years, but the competition is a bit stiff around here. There are a couple of guys who really do it up when it comes to holiday lighting. Everything is controlled from a laptop. The customers can change everything from the music, the pattern the lights move, and even turn off different parts of the system if they only want another certain part of the system on...all from the comfort of their own home on this programmed laptop. In fact one of the guys around here was featured on Good Morning America last year because of his systems.

In order for us to really compete in our market, we would have to learn to do something similar......unfortunately I don't have the ambition to get that far into depth with holiday lighting. The money does seems good, as one of our customers uses one of these guys and their system was around it sounds like there is money to be made on it. According to our customer, the same guy does about 10 homes in this specific subdivision.
  3. niteliters

do you know the name of his company?
  4. extlights

I don't, but I can look it up.
  5. extlights

I'm not 100 percent sure, but he does stuff similar to what's offered by animated lighting. You can check out their site at
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

like dave we have thought about it. Just havent had the time to really learn more about it. I really dont think anyone is doing anything spectacular around here tho from what I have seen.

Could be a new niche but its just too late for me to try and get into it this year. Maybe next year.

Wow thats all just amazing. Seems like it would be a technical support nightmare for most of my client base tho lol
  7. niteliters

Thanks Dave, that looks cool. Please let me know if you come across his name. would like to know more about it from someone who installs.
  8. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

This side of our service business is usually about 20% of our services revenues.

2 men per crew is usually all we need.

This year we started with some excellent LED lights.

Just put up our first LED commercial job yesterday of a fascia outline. Went by it this morning early and could not be much happier.

I should have photos in a few days and it should be up on our web site sometime this week.
  9. niteliters

look forward to seeing them
  10. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep thinking about doing it and never get the time to research for the installs and products. Maybe next year.