1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas lighting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

With winter around the corner, business is starting to slow, with the exception of ferts and cleanups and until the leaves fall. Does anyone out there do Christmas lighting? If so, how do you charge and does the customer purchase and keep the goods? I was thinking of an hourly rate. I may have enough to keep me going thru the winter months but just want some some input.

2. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

Hello,
    Yes I do offer Xmas light installation. The customer pays me a hourly rate (flat rate to them) and they also purchase the lights, hangers, extension cords, timers, and any other items they want used. They keep the goods after initial purchase. Then I will reinstall every year as requested. Hope this helps.

3. The problem I see with doing X-mas light installations is that if you are just putting lights up on gutters, and on houses you should be fine. However if you have to start putting those lights on trees (which I see is a common thing) you have to get the lines right out at the branch tips. This is very hard to do by straight out climbing, and is best handled by using a bucket truck.

4. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

ok the tp thing was pretty funny and we had a laugh but this is just as bad. lawn guys hanging xmas lights for people? :(

5. Grass Slayer, I don't know what planet you come from, but this is a frequent topic of discussion in regards to winter work for a lot of green industry professionals. I was only pointing out that if you do decide to get into this field of the industry that you do consider the potential of having to perform some work with an aerial lift.

6. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

lawnboy82,
    I have found a long pole with a hook on the end works just fine for most trees and only costs a few dollars. You sure do seem to like those bucket trucks. I agree they would be alot more fun, but not very practical on most jobs.

Grass Slayer,
    Many well respected lco's do holiday lighting. Some even change the sides of their Isuzu NPR's for the holiday season.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have heard of a lot of lcos installing christmas lights on this board. it seems funny. lawnboy solves every problem with the use of a bucket truck.:)

8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Lol, he sure does like bucket trucks, hehe...he's one of those tree guys though...:)

9. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

grass slayer a very large landscape corp offers residentianl and commercial lighting around my way and he makes killing. alot of landscapers do it but this one perticular company out does everyone .gorgeous jobs also in one ad he just put out he trained his crue to professionally design the lights around trees and shrubs plus he hangs them and takes them down all included in the price i personally believe theres is a very high market in it.

10. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

OK ONCE AGAIN IO AM PROVEN WRTONG BUT THAT IS PRETTY COOL. I MEAN IF YOU CAN MAKE GOOD MONEY AT IT MORE POWER TO YOU!!!