Christmas Lights?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dig-it Landscaping, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have never put up xmas lights for other people before. one of my customers wants me to put up xmas lights on trees and things like that. i have all the ladders and know how to do it. I just need to know what to charge. how do you do it by the hour or the job or the strand of lights? any hints or tips would be helpful. thanks
  2. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

if your doin it your self charge what ever u charge for everything else.. Or u can just bid it and see if u get it... i get $45-60 an hour for that kind of things.. its basically your call if u wanted to u could charge 20 an hour and still make money.. remember to see if your insurance willl cover you if u fall good luck
  3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I figure $60 per man hr. plus supllies, lights extension cords, timers ect. and I mark these up 40%. I know about how long a job takes me and the supplies it takes so I give them a figure instead of telling them the hourly rate. "Many people don't think us lawn people are worth $60 per hr, so I feel its just better not mentioning that." I have rigged a few extendable poles, "to 25feet" to string the lights to the trees. I fabricated a hook on the end of them to do this. This eliminates the need for ladders in this application. To attach lights to the roofline of the house, thats another story. Check your insurance to make sure you are covered!!!!
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What insurance do you check? Are you guys covering yourselves on workmans comp? If your health ins wont cover you climbing a ladder its time to look for new insurance.
  5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We're insured by The Hartford. One of the policies stipulations is that we do not get on roofs. However it does not say anything about putting a ladder up against a house. Check your policy so you know your limits.