Christmas Tips ....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

Things are really down this year. Last year I took in $485 worth of Christmas tips last year. So far this year I have only received $40. I have talked to others in my area and they have all seen a large reduction in Christmas tips.

Have you all seen a the same happening in your area?

2. If I expected tips I would be working in a restaurant.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I think people are holding onto their money more everywhere. Just a result of the economy right now. Christmas tips have never been a big thing for us, I guess my men might get about $200 each in tips this time of year. I'm not with my crew on every property, so I don't see my clients as much as I used to. I might get about $100 and a few bottles of wine or champagne from people. Very nice of them, but I don't expect anything, just not a big deal to me.
    Hope things pick up for you

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We don't expect tips, but when we get one in the mail, I'll admit it does make us feel good. Like this year, we picked up a doctor, maintaining his residence. He sent us a $100 tip just last week. That really put a smile on our face.
    But in general, no we don't get tons of tips. I think this year so far we have gotten $255 bucks. We ourselves, are big tippers when we go out, so when we get a tip, we do appreciate it.

5. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I was not saying I expected tips or that I was upset that they had not arrived ... I was just woundering if others notice a trend that people are holding onto there money this year.

Makes me wounder ... if money is getting tight ... how many of the young professionals will get there own mower and cut us out completely?

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I received about $300 last year. So far this year, I've received one tip for $50 and that was not from one of last year's "tippers".

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We've gotten a little more already this year, than we did last year. Tips are coming in from different people though than last year. So maybe if people tip one year, they won't tip the next?

As for us, if money gets real tight with our customers, i guess they could start trying to pull the "my grass doesn't need cut this week" trick. Since we work for mostly elderly, i'm pretty confident though they won't be buying their own mower. :cool2:

8. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

Tips are about pare with last years...seems the regular are still doin' it.

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I agree tips are down so far about 80% but still have a week and half to go before Christmas heres hoping :)

10. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

we sent our cards out to all customers(112) 2 weeks ago and so far have 460 in tips-usually average about 600-a couple are big tippers.