1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Tree Farm Looking for Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bartman915, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bartman915

bartman915 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt, and I have a somewhat unique mowing application...mowing between rows of Christmas trees. I have a small 4-5 acre tree farm, and I'm looking to get a 60" zero turn mower to decrease the time I spend mowing. I currently have a 48" traditional rider, and I have to take two passes between rows. My local dealer sells Bad Boy and Ferris. They have a great reputation, so I'm going with one of these two brands. I'm looking at a Ferris IS 1500Z and a Bad Boy CZT Elite with the suspension seat. They both have the same Kawasaki engine and Hydro-Gear drive system. I took both for a test drive today, and I was equally impressed with both. If anyone has any advice or experience with these mowers, I would appreciate an input. The Ferris appears to have a better warranty (haven't read the fine print), but the extra moving parts with the suspension make me concerned of more maintenance expenses down the road.

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

You will like the icd deck on the ferris more i believe
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Neither are really sold in my area but if the price was close I would go with a Ferris from reputation alone. Also you should probably get a deflector or discharge shield to stop clippings and rocks from hitting trunks and killing/injuring them.