Christmas tree lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guthrie&Co, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

anyone know how you get a lot to sell trees on? rules and regulations on it? do i need a lawyer to research it for me?

2. Guthrie&Co

from nc

anyone know?

3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We did this a couple of years ago. Check with your local gov't agencies. You should already have a business license but you'll probably need a sales tax certificate to collect sales tax.

As far as a lot, just find an empty lot. Ask the owner what he want's for rent?
    A supermarket or strip mall with a lot of parking space may be willing to lease you a section of parking lot.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I work at a super center which sells trees, and yes there is tax on them. You will need a tax cert. to collect.

5. Guthrie&Co

from nc

thanks guys. the more i know the better. my dad is an accountant so i should be ok there

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Where in NC are you? By us we now have a tree lot every 100 feet. On Dec. 26th there still were a lot of trees on those lots. A lot of out of work people are desperate for any bit of money they can get and selling trees now is the latest get rich gig. I would do a lot of research before putting down money on rent and trees.

7. Guthrie&Co

from nc

over 50% of small bussiness fail within the first few years. i see your point but every field you get into has someone else in it. i cant let that hold me back. i al looking to sell to other lots and dealers in the long run anyway. as well as have my own lot. i am in hickory by the way. the market is better around winston salem for trees. most of your bigger cities are like that. hickory sells for 6-8 bucks a foot. w-s 10 or better a foot there

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My friend and I do a tree lot together in December. We are both LCO's. We sold every single tree out of the 440 we bought. It is good money for the amount of time we devoted to it.