1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Christmas tree pick-up

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by gglawns, Nov 30, 2005.

1. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I want to pick up the trees after the season is over. Has anyone done this? What would you charge per tree? Also when would be a good time to try and get customers and how? Any help would be great. Thank You.
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I would think it would be a good idea. I also think it would be pure profit for you. I know most towns around me have recycle centers where you can drop the trees off for free. Also some villages even pick up treees on the curb so might wana look into that before you go pass out hundreds of flyers. best of luck
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do you have a big wood chipper??

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I think it's a good idea but where I live the Boyscouts always pick them up. I think they charge about $5.00 per tree.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. I put out a winter flyer to pick up some tree triming and other misc jobs to fill space and offer to my clients pickup on the next service. figure in second week in jan or before and charge 5.00 per tree and 25 per tree with tinsil. usually pick up 20 trees a year. cost is 10 to dump 20 trees.
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Heck, $5/tree would cover your gas and vehicle maintenance, but what about you being paid? I wouldn't touch it unless I made $20/tree.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is true and like I posted before I only pick up durring my January visit.
  8. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the reply's. There is a tree recycling center not even a block away from my house. And i was also worried about the boy scouts.
  9. sunnysunrise

sunnysunrise LawnSite Member
    from pa

Maybe I am missing something but why would you want to pick up trees couldnt they just put them in the trash
  10. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

The trash services around here stoped picking them up off the curb. Now they put about 5 locations around the city so you would have to load your tree up and tie it to the top of the suv or what not and then dump it. I would make it easy for people again and pick it up from the curb.