christmas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

do any of you guys put up x-mas lights? if so could you give me some tips?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We had to on some trees one year for a wing ding, was a pain. From experience, make sure they are for outdoor use(the first packages we pulled out of the box they gave us wern't) and make sure they all light before hanging them, keep them marked in someway if you have to run them across the lawn so if you get a leaf job you won't hit the cord with mower, rake etc.Lastly, do a better job than Homer Simpson did in that early episode where they end up with the dog. :p

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I will put out about 80,000 this year on my own property.
    Working on stuff now.

4. Mowerboy04

when you put up so many xmas lights on a house that the circut can not hold them how can you power them besides running a generator or putting in extra circuts? is there a way or no?

5. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

You need to run so many strands per outlet. Extension cords are a must and you can run them to different parts of the house to prevent tripping the breaker. And also get some surge protectors. I have put up Christmas lights for the past few years just for my customers and made some decent cash for the time. Average house was $600 for about 5 hours of work, but the price depends on what kind of neighborhood it's in. I set my price at $2.50 a foot which includes install and take down, but I guess you can charge whatever you want. I am cheaper than the typical electrican, but they can do a lot more lights than me since they know how to work all of it.

6. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

You mean you charge $500 for 4 strands of 50'? I must be waay underbidding. I dont believe my customers would go for that though.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

My tip would be to not fall off the roof. :drinkup:

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I know a guy here loacally that puts them up to keep his crew working longer. He said he doesnt make that much, but bills out around $15K

9. Mowerboy04

i have tryed running coards to diffrent parts of the house. it turns out that there was only one ciruct for all the plugs out side, and in the grage

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

One year I couldn't find any clips to attach lights to the house. Then I got the idea to use clothes pins. Their cheap and work quite well. On the roof, for example, slide the end under the shingles and clip the lights on the other end. I use them on gutters and the vinyl siding.