Church Bulletins

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Scagmower48, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you guys placed an ad in a church bulletin? Was it worth it? Im thinking about doing that with my church's.
  2. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

never thought about doing that.i take care of my church and some others yards there.they all know that i do it.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This has been discussed a few times before. The conclusion of everyone's opinions? Tacky...with a capital T. God's house is one of the things that should not be used to "advertise businesses". Now, if you wanted to put in there for voluntary help people in need, that is a different story. Advertising in a church flyer is about the equal of sending a Christmas card with a coupon that says "10% off any additional service". How about if we send an arrangement of flowers to a customers funeral - with a card holder full of cards saying on the front "Please take one".:rolleyes:
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I see nothing wrong with it. Our church has a monthly newsletter/bulletin type thing that is about 30-40 page little book and it has various advertisements in it. Things like insurance and some others that I can't pull off the top of my head. If they are offering to sell advertising spots to help subsidize the printing and mailing of the thing, then what's wrong with taking them up on it?

Now, if we're talking about the worship service guide that you get every Sunday, then no, I probably would not ask about advertising in that.
  5. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I've had advertisements in our church bulleting for the past 3-4 months now. Zero calls from it. Pricewise I pay only $50 per quarter which is 12 weekly bulletins.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Most Churches "Mine included" dont allow the outside world, into the Church.

such as using them for Business, however If you start attending, then you can ask people,

and besides, attending Church wont kill you
  7. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I attend church every sunday and my business leaves a nice check in the basket.

God says that I should go forth and be prosperous and that I should be a good steward of money.

I do good work and earn my money.

With my earnings I am helping my church through donations.

I actually advertise in 2 bulletins. 1 is a parish that I used to belong to and is in a high dollar area.

I have signed 7 Annual Customers in the last 2 months that were obtained through my bulletin.

I have received a few 1 time cuts as well.

After reading some other
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I see it two ways.

The household of God - from a Christian's point of view - is supposed to be a "household" situation.

If people are advertising to "use" the congregation to make money, that's tacky.

If people in the church (part of that household already) are advertising to let other members know about them, with an equal interest to know about others, then its not tacky.

It boils down to what's the real motive and heart behind the action.

So if I was going to do it, it would be short term. A few months, and most people should know what I'm doing. They can tell anybody new what's up.

When I took a small business class in college as part of the landscape tech program, the instructor brought up churches as a way to market work. That presentation was purely from a money-oriented approach; nothing to do with service to the church or a "family" interaction.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I start off every statement with an " I "

I am my best subject.
    I do good
    and I
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now, in posts like news7151 and ATV Racer, read their posts. It is said as if there are several others who run an ad in the same programs. If this is the case, I guess it would be a whole different thing. Personally I have never seen a program that had outside advertisement in it, but by the sounds of the one, there are several. I guess if this is what it is intended for (to help cover the printing costs), it would be ok as it is helping the church.