Church Estimate #2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jan 26, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I was wondering could I get some input from you guys? I have another church bid.

Front Yard - 2265 square ft
    Side Yard - 1026 square ft
    Back Yard - 576 square ft
    Back YArd #2 City's side - 1080

Total = roughly 4920 square feet, but lets say 5000.

I was going to say $40CDN ($30US)

18 Hedges 2ft x 5ft - cedar
    37 mini hedges under 2ft variety of japanese boxwood, koren boxwoods.
    $150 - $200 CDN ($110-$140US)

Maintenance of Garden Bed - low maintenance of garden bed, remove leaves, debris. What else do you do to maintain a garden bed?

$150

He would like a contract.. I said great..

$40 for mowing
    $175 for all the hedges or is that too low?
    $150 for maintenance of garden bed

What do you guys think?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

how many time you gonna trim the hedges?

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

is this one in any comparison to the other one? maybe you could find some relatively similar aspects and start there. like say, if they have close to the same amount of hedges, same mowing area...etc

4. alpine692003

nope, its tottaly different then the other one.

Twice a year for hedge trimming.

5. olderthandirt

from here

american $
    mowing $20 each time
    hedges $200 twice a yr.
    Garden bed $100 1st time and then $10- $25 depending on what is needed if its just blowing the leaves out $10 if its weeding and tilling it could be more.

Mac

6. alpine692003

travel time is under 15mins for me.. not even, maybe 10 from my house.

thanks oledirt for helpin me out..

Uhm.. $20 to mow the size of that lawn? that's cheap! I woulda thought $30 or is that too much?

7. olderthandirt

from here

5000 sq ft I can do that with a trimmer in 10 min. lol

Mac

8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion, at 5K sq. ft. you are entering the realm of needing to determine your minimum price for mow/trim/blow. That's a small property, but I still wouldn't touch it for less than $30 or maybe $35 U.S. I've got a few properties where I can be in and out in 18 min. = $35.00. That's my minimum, and my market here. Yours may be a little different.

Depending on where your other accounts may end up being (say for example a 10 min. - 12 min. drive away), all of the sudden you've got time in for loading, unloading, then driving = a lot of idle time over the course of a season = $$$$.

The other church, the one with 10K of turf, now that's different because it's bigger and I think with that size you're still in the area of trying to get ____ (fill in the blank) $ per hr.

These small propeties you land at your minimum price can help make up for a bidding mistake or two if you make some of those (and probably will even if they are not terribly bad because we all have a learning curve).

Having said all this, ultimately you need to do things in a way satisfying to you. Still, you don't want to make the mistake of driving down prices in your area.

9. olderthandirt

from here

So True Shawn, I was just thinking that with these being chuches my experience is they don't pay much. And I know Alpine is just starting out so he needs to get some income coming in. The more $$ you can get the better but you got to get the first couple if they just cover expenses to allow you to get the more profitable ones.

Mac

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

That's ^ true too. Good points.

I know I had some lower tier accounts early because I wanted to get my thing rolling. It was good to have the work, but it didn't take long for those accounts to start bogging me down because I found that I could fill the time slot with better paying ones - just like Mac is saying. That evolution for me happened very fast. I had a couple pricing mistakes out of the gate, but said NO MORE. Then, I quoted up where I should be and stuck to my guns.

I know it varies from region to region, and also personal needs/goals. However, try not to sell yourself too short too often. If you're a little bit low on a account or two, probably you can make that up no problem with ad-ons like fert, clean ups, etc. No big deal.

And as I've read here before, sometimes bidding the mow contract a tad low in order to get your foot in the door & then land lucrative extras like mulching, plantings, fert, etc., is also another way to attack it.