1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Church mowing dilemma

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, Nov 18, 2004.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a church that Im bidding on. The turf area is 4.03 Acres. 1/3 of that is a softball practice field. Straight and flat. Very few obstacles. Few beds to maintain. Right around 500 linear feet of hard edging. 1000 linear feet of string trimming. They are requesting bids cause their equipment keeps gettin stolen from their storage barn. I have been told it takes 2 men 3.5 hours to maintain it. ( church members, not pros) Its about 3.5 miles from a current commercial customer but its way outside of town. Not much pruning.

What kind of cost should I expect to get from this job. Im figuring that I should bid 8 grand a year. thats 40 mowings at 200 each. Too low? To high? Just right? Opinions please.
  2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to comment on because we don't know what equipment you will be using!

If you have a decent ztr of 48" or better, shouldn't be much more than an hour, maybe an hour & half of mowing. Add in some extra $ for travel time outside your regular "working area". Plus trim & blow time. $200 sounds like it would be pretty good $ FOR YOU.

That being said, GOOD LUCK getting that price, because all the churches I've bid on have gone with parishoners mowing for free. I don't even bother wasting my time on them anymore!

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Same exact thing around here. My friend does it he gets $150, but only because he gives them a break. I think $200 is perfect.
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i cut my church for 200 a cut for four years. too many people get involved in the church affairs and it winds up ugly. if not now, or 2 years from now... eventually it will. They beat me for 200 bucks over a technicality,and i have to still pick up a piece of equipment there. you and the priest... can have a decent business relationship. when they start forming committees, :realmad: you go from answering to one person, to 10. B.S.
  5. grass-scapes

Ive got a walker. 48 inch deck.....In process of getting a 54 inch side discharge deck for my larger properties. Right now, I just put on the no catch deflector. Plus, I have my 48 inch WB with sulky.
    I currently mow my own church. I do it for cheap......88 bucks a mow. Its about 1.75 acres.
  6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I agree but I also think that 2 men 3.5 hrs. what kind of equipment? if it was zero turns I would probably be around 300.00-350.00 range. If they used like a home owner rider then yes 200 is perfect. you will be gone in 2 hrs.
  7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.... I'm not an LCO, but I've got a question on this situation. If the value of a mowing service were appraised at say, let's use what everybody is saying, $200 a cut, but you only make them pay $100, is that like making a tax deductible donation to a non-profit of $100 every cut? Or, would they actually have to cut you a check for $200 and then you give $100 back?
  8. grass-scapes

you would have to have some kind of documentation to show you made the contributions. You could bill them 200, then have a "donation to church" line of 100.00 per week. That seems as though that would satisfy the irs
  9. satch

satch LawnSite Member

Yes you can you give the church a bill and in turn they give you a contribution statement.Case in point last year our church started a new building one member donated the use of his dozier and i donated my labor for 1 week of work we both billed and got contribution statements and my cpa was more than happy with the deal.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Reducing the tax liability sounds like the best here. You could write it all off.