1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Church Parking Lot Flyers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wagner17, Jul 25, 2005.

1. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

We have an enormous church near me and so this weekend I decided to try and use it to my advantage. Not being a religious man at all, I decided to place flyers on the windshields of cars while they were in church. I put out about 250 hangers and now I may regret it. That night I received 3 angry phone calls about this method.

I respect their views, but I would like to know how many people have an issue with this? Also, how many people have tried this themselves?
  2. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

Flyers on windshields piss me off too. Same with flyers put anywhere other than the mailbox w/pd postage. You can hang up tear off flyers in places like grocery stores, real estate offices, etc... There are better ways to get your name out there rather than littering.
  3. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

I do the tear off flyers as well. I am simply looking for more business. I understand that a lot of people do not like stuff on their windshields...I am hoping that I reach the 2-3 people who would be looking for service.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is one reason why I don't like flyers myself, you ALWAYS get at least 1 call complaining, sooner or later.
  5. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I ASSUME that you talked to the church beforehand, as it is private property. I would be pretty PO'd if I had anything but a flier for the church picnic on my car after church on a Sunday.

No way, no way, no way. Plus - the fliers that blow off litter the church parking lot.

If I was the pastor I'd be calling the number on the flyer for a little "Come to Jesus" meeting. :rolleyes:
  6. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

You plastered fliers on cars in a church parking lot, then say you 'respect their views"?

You admit that you're "not a religious man at all", then why even go on the church property?

Folks go to church because it's supposed to be a place of respite. The last thing they want to see when they come out are fliers plastered all over their cars. Not to mention the fact that churches are private property, not like plastering cars at the mall. Legal ramifications could (and should) be imposed in situations like this.

This brings the term "tacky" to a higher level, no pun intended.
  7. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

I do understand what all of you are saying. In retrospect I probably should not have done it. I did say that I am not a religious man...in fact I don't believe in organized religion at all, but I respect others beliefs, but that is for another debate. I should have been more respectful of their time at church...I guess that I just saw it as a way to get my name out there. Unfortunately, I believe I probably did more harm then good.
  8. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Its got nothing to do with religion or lack of it. If you did it at my business of any sort I'd call you up and ream you out. The fact that it was a church is almost secondary.
  9. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

Legal ramifications? Could and should be imposed? I am sorry that I offended you, and I admit that it may have been a mistake, but legal ramifications for some flyers? Seems a little ridiculous to me.
  10. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

Church, mall, shopping plaza...you could make an argument for or against either place. I have done all and it is my least favorite tactic.

I have advertised in newspapers, hung tear-off flyers in stores, done door hangers, called real estate agencies...I am simply looking for more business.

I have talked to several others who do go to that church and believe that it is hypocritical of people to chastise me for putting flyers on the windshield. They agree that it may not have been the best thing to do, but that those who make such a big deal about it are hypocrites.