Churh mowing; anyone do it for write off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone on here mow for a church and does not charge for it?

Do you use it as a tax write off?

If so, how do you do it? What do you turn it in as on your taxes?

Do you send an invoice to them and mark it paid, no charge, or what?

...or anything else you might think of that would relate to this.

I mow our church and never charge them and I have their lawn treatments done (pay for it out of my pocket).
    I have talked to them about me turning it all in as charity and they can give me a statement for it, but don't know how you all handle it on paper/taxes...

My dictionary states this; Charity = Money or help given to aid the needy; an organization, fund, or institution whose purpose is to aid those in need.

Thanks....

2. JayD

yes, I know, it's Church mowing....not Churh.....LOL, my bad

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to a CPA..sounds like you can do that, but you will probably need to somehow verify the amount of time it took you (total hours) and maybe you will be able to set the amount of the right off

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, We did it for about a year,

It became a PITA, the thought process was that we would gain customers by word of mouth,

Well We did, except it backfired, they had a list of elderly people that attended there Church and STRONGLY recommanded we provide service for them, FOR FREE.

We really got a bad rap outta the deal, and here it is a couple of years later I still get calls, Are you they guys that cut grass for free...........

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

:dizzy::dizzy: that must be a pain trying to do a good thing and having it work against you

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The minister, paster, priest does not work for free. They are usually at the high end of the pay scale. 70k to well over 100k is not uncommon at all even at small churches with less then 400 members. Alway keep that in mind, they don't work for free but they get there housing and a car allowance free. Its a very nice job.

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

You sir..are obviously not a mister, pastor, or priest..maybe at some churches it can be a nice job, but for most, the pay isnt that great and that total normally includes the housing allowance in it. They work all the time and are on call 24-7 for the most part. It is a labor of love and worship for them..i know thats off topic but keep that in mind. It might be a PITA, but JayD will receive greater riches for what he is doing one day. Im really not trying to bust your balls TMlawncare, I just wanted to say that

8. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you just need proof. Just today my church sent me a statement for my tithes for the year. I guess in this case you would need a statement showing the worth of your work and time=money donations.

But like others have said, check with you CPA.

9. JayD

I agree here, our church is small. a 100 or less but trying really hard to grow. Our pastor no longer gets paid, for now anyway. He has not been paid for about 10 months. He went out and got two other jobs, one a waiter at Ruby Tuesday, and one delivering potato chips. ...and yes, l will do it even if I can not use it as a tax write off. I have been doing it for four years now and love helping the church out.

My point was that if the IRS allows it, then why not take advantage of it.we could use all the breaks we can get. I was just asking if guys do it and how to go about it.

10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess you keep records of when you did it and how much you would charge then file it under donations on your taxes.