Chute blocker with holes, or without?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, May 26, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working up a chuteblocker for my Gravely w/b, things are looking pretty good right now, but I wonder if I should put holes or slots in the blocker plate to relieve the air but still catch the clippings?
    Maybe expaned metal or some other wire mesh?

I think that mesh might collect alot of the clippings allowing me to drop them where I want, instead of leaving a clump-line.

It looks like this so far...

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the point? Even large holes will clog immediately, if they don't it's not a chute blocker now then is it?
  4. Honerlaw-LawnCare

Honerlaw-LawnCare LawnSite Member

did you make that chute blocker or did you buy it? If you bought it, where did you get it, I have been looking for one to put on my John Deere GS 30. It has a 36" deck. Thanks
  5. Dashunde

I built it.

The following pics will give a good idea of what I did.
    If you have any questions just ask.

6. Dashunde

More pics...

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you for that post! I have been considering this for quite some time now & the attached pictures just made my first step. Thanks!
  8. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

let us know how those u joints hold up, i made one of those for my TT, and the joints were toast within a week. I thought about getting some good sears ones, but didn't think they would take em back if they were welded on something...
  9. Dashunde

I thought about that and frankly I dont know how well it is going to wear.
    I will say though, that it is a pretty beefy 1/2" universal.
    I'll keep it soaked in FluidFilm and see how it does.
    Worse case, I'll have to grind the weld out and then I'll try a heavier impact-type of universal or maybe seek out a flex shaft variety.
  10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Did you ever put any holes in the plate. I've been considering doing it to my homemade one also.