1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chute blocker

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AllAmericanlawn, May 5, 2007.

1. AllAmericanlawn

AllAmericanlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use chute blockers on there ZTR. What is your opinion on these?
  2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Im thinking about trying a chute blocker myself because my ZTR shoots grass everywhere
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We call it a mulch plate and all our mowers have them bolted in place. We mulch 100% year round unless we get into cutting a field that is 12" tall. There is a VERY big productivity factor with plate on especially on smaller properties since you can go in any direction and never worry about throwing grass on sidewalks, beds, trimmer guy, etc. etc. I mow in a keystone cop pattern to er done fast.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea I made one...... it's a PITA.... I have used it a couple of times it makes cloging 2 to 3 times worse....

early morning when grass is wet I had to clean out from under deck 3 times a day
  5. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I use them and they work great. I use the ones by from Trimmer Trap. Really cuts down on the blowing and flippoing of mulch. Any way to save time is saving money.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Your grass should be same as ours.....what kind of mower? The blade needs to be wavy mulch blade or a straight blade. We mulch rye grass in the rain and never have to go over it more than twice.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea... I just use the OEM... NOT the mulch...

I'm sure it would do better with better blades... I made a block plate and used it once because I cut a proptery that has a ton of cars parked around it and I was afraid of rock throw......
    I wasnt really concerned with mulching at the time

it's a eXmark 52" 23 hp Kolher