Chute extensions

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by JOE SKOWRONEK, Nov 21, 2000.

1. JOE SKOWRONEK

JOE SKOWRONEK LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many of you with the v-box spreader in one-tons have the lower chute extension. Dino, I too have a smith spreader but I do not have the extension. I wonder if you have one on yours and if you like it. I did not get one because I wanted the height to give me an even wider spread and if I want a narrow spread I just drop the flaps lower. What do you other guys do?

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Joe isnt the smith a great spreader? I do not have the extensions for the same reasons you dont. Also if need be, I can put the spreader in a p/u with out worrying about the shute dragging. I have seen more than one flatbed with long shutes, that are tweaked cause they went over a or through a large dip, and the shute dragged. With the polyurethane spinner that comes standard on the smith, you really get a nice pattern. The only thing I would like is a variable speed controller, I guess smith makes one, but it is big $$$
    ABout $ 400.00 I think.
    Dino

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Extended spinners on all my v-boxes. A must for the F 650, i don't think you can get a spreader for it with out extended spinner. If you could you would be sanding car roofs.

Geoff

4. JOE SKOWRONEK

Dino, the smith is a great spreader. I did not get the variable control either because the factory told me that with the size of the electric motor and set-up there would not be all that much variable control. The smith has a little less volume than a gas motor but I just received my drums of magic so hopefully I won't need the volume of salt to do the same job. I hope to spread faster and get more out of a load now. Dino, I will have to contact you soon about some edges.

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

What truck do you have the smith on, I added a 2x8 around the op of mine on edge, and I can now get 3.0 yards heaped on my truck. Also by doing so, I created a lip for the screen to sit in, so I dont have to unbolt it if I need to clear a jam, or shovel material around. I will have to get some pics to show the mods I made.
    Geoff, I agree that with the bigger trucks extended shuts are a must.
    Dino

6. Guest

If it is mounted on a one ton I would personally stay with the short chute. The longer ones tend to get backed up into snow banks, my drivers and myself are guilty of that, but we have three 3 yd sanders on our one tons and only one has the chute extension and I see no difference between the spread patterns or the way the material comes out, this is only my opnion. Just My two cents

7. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have 3 V box sanders and all have the short chutes,for the reason that they are more versitle that way. I know that if I put them in my large trucks they are a little high but I have never had a problem other than covering my tail lights on occation and when I want I can mount them on my one tons. I have 2 10ft sanders that stay with their large trucks so it is not often that the small ones are in a bigger trucks.The one I have mounted in my C60 is mounted directly to the frame so it is at a good height.So I guess if a one ton is as big of a truck as you plan on owning for awhile then maybe the short chute is the best alternative.

8. JOE SKOWRONEK

Dino, I have the smith mounted on a 2000 Chevy K3500 with a backpack toolbox and 8ft dumpbody all aluminum. I don't have any extensions on because my set-up just fits in my garage door. I do heap the salt so I fit around 2 yards. I also have my stobe mounted with wing nuts and trailer plug so I can take it off to fit through the door. I know it sounds like a pain, but I like not having to clean snow off the truck. I know I am lucky I have a garage for the truck in the first place. Down the road, I hope to build a bigger facility to fit even bigger trucks. I'll probably put extensions on the smith then. I know it will still be around.