1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chutes up or down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Mar 15, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering who leaves there chutes on there mowers up or down? I personally have had mine all removed or fixed so they would stay up. We just got a complex and dont want to be hitting out windows and such but i want the grass dispersed evenly and nicely. Virtually everyone i've seen has removed theres and i was just wondering what the majority here does and why. As always its a pleasure =)
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Before I had OCDC, I left mine off. When I turned by a house or flowerbed, I would always turn so the clippings and/or forein objects would blow out into the lawn. I still normally have the OCDC open and still turn this way, but at least I have the option to close in it a seconds notice if I have to go between 2 beds or see people or a car in the area on the discharge side. I then close it and just stop until they get out of the way. You can never be to safe. ;)

Objects can still fly out, even with a mulch mower with no discharge opening.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't use them on my Grasshoppers. I do have a restriction plate that I use going between beds.
  4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I Leave the shutes on and drill a small hole in them for a wire atached to the mower to hook too. This holds the shute up and when I need it down i just give it a kick and it falls down.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

UP! Until I go some place where there are cars, like a commercial property with traffic. I have taken out a couple of windsheilds before. Damn that hurt LOL!
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the first thing i did when i took delivery of my scag walk behind, was to take the chute off. hasnt been on since then.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I fasten the chute up using a bungee cord from the top of the chute when its upside down across the bottom and then attach the other end to the belt cover on the deck.

Good Luck this season!
  8. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I need to ask this question. Why do ya all keep your side discharge chutes up? I would think this would be unsafe.
  9. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

We keep ours up most of the time but, leave them on just for the reason as stated above. Them there winders is spensive. One claim and (The we love yo money insurance company) will drop you like bam.

mow,mow,mow yo self quickly to de bank!
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Fer bagging LOL.

Actually I like to mow with the chutes up when we are doing large area mowing. This way you can cut at a faster speed, avoid clumping/wind-rowing, and still create a quality cut.

Is there a risk?? Absolutely. But lets not forget that every time you engage the blades thers a risk of danger to you. If a blade breaks it could come flying out underneath the deck aimed for your ankles.

Good Luck this season!