Cigaret butts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheYardBoys, Jan 10, 2008.

1. TheYardBoys

TheYardBoys LawnSite Member

Hey guys if you could help me it would be appreciated. I have taken on a bank here in town. They request that I pick up all cigaret butts every week. At first i was fine by picking them up by hand ,but know its taking way to long. My question is there a piece of equipment that acts like a vaccum. Like a back blower but it was a vacuum and if there is well you please help. Thank every one for there time.

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You should request they put out ashtrays near their buildings...

I would not do that. You are an LCO not a custodian.

As far as equipment goes...I know there are backpack vacums...

3. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

Was this part of your contract? If I have to agree with the "your not a custodian" comment. If they want it done, there are small leaf vacs out there that do a decent job on butts. Butt, make sure your getting paid for that service. If its not in your contract with them, make sure that you maybe add an amendment to it that covers this item.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Why not just blow them into a corner and shovel them up? Can't take that long.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

This is why I love my walker ghs. On commercial properties we edge then blow all trash into turf then mow. No longer have to worry about picking up trash by hand.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

We take care of a small strip of stores, clean the parking lot and empty the trash cans twice weekly. We just blow eveything into a corner and shovel it up. The majority of what we pick up is cigarette butts, there are always a lot.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I just picked up an account like that too and thats what I do....broom and shovel. The other LCO that had this account last year ( he retired) used a handheld blower/vac

wayne

8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walkbehind shedder vac vor things like that but I found it was just faster to blow everything to a central location and pick up by hand. My br 600 does a great job of blowing this type of trash. That is what I would look at doing. Oh guys most people do not consider that a custodial job bout a grounds job. But then again that is another difference between a grounds maintence co and a lco:)

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Snapper vacuum specifically for that. It's inexpensive compared to the BillyGoat and works quite well for parking lots. It has 4 large wheels and will also vacuum lawns but I don't use it for that. Tony

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a litter getter... or blow them into the grass and mulch or discharge the to the street...or just blow them into the street!