1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cigarette lighter accessory plug??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WGASA, Jul 17, 2006.

1. WGASA

WGASA LawnSite Member
    from NM

On a ZTR, say with at least a 25 Kawi engine....Can an accessory plug be installed to run such an accessory as a fan, radio, proper sized lights etc. without harm to the electrical system. What about maybe even an AC inverter plugged into the Cigarette lighter plug to run small power equipment, while the engine is running?
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Depends what charging system you have and how much of it is being used by the engine(if it has battery ignition) and the electric clutch.

The most any of the charging systems put out is probably 25-30 amps...and most are probably less because they are just running a clutch and charging the battery.

So it really depends on the capabilities of your charging system, how much of it is in use cutting grass already and how much power the things you want to run will take.
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

you may have to upgrade some parts but you could do it. not saying it would be cheep
  4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran a cig litter/ 12 volt outlet on my 23 hp kaw. It's been on there for 6 years with no problem. I run a 12 volt sprayer with mine.
  5. WGASA

WGASA LawnSite Member
    from NM

Thanks for your replies, it seems that I may look into it further. Some units run oem light kits, so I thought the cig. lighter socket would be useful for that and/or other low amp. single use purposes. I expect that I would need to wire direct to the battery with an inline fuse...ya think??
  6. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

yes a line directly to the battery with an inline fuse would work the best.