1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cigeratte Butts! Ughhh!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well every year in the spring I encounter tons of these from commercial accounts who do not pick trash up during the winter, how do you guys handle picking these up out of the grass any tips? Any type of equipment available to help?
  2. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

I have several of these commercial props. w/ the same proplem. What I do is just before the lawn comes out of dormancy, I mow with the blades as low as I dare without scalping with a bagger (I use my 48" Bob Cat W/B because it has best vaccuum of my mowers). I empty the bagger into their dumpster. I usually go over the bad areas 2 or 3 times in the lower gears. This seems to get up about 85% of the winter trash. The rest gets mulched so small that it isn't noticable (I'm talking about little 1/4 inch sized pieces of paper or so). I have a clause in my contract to allow me to charge extra for this service for "excessive debris removal."
    As for whatever cig. butts that don't get picked, the customer can pay us extra to rake them up. But nobody has ever had us do that cause the bagger does good enough.

3. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

What we've done in the past to remove cigarette butts from mulched areas was to use a handheld blower/vac set up on vac.We had a restaurant that the mulch beds along the main door became the ashtray.Luckily it had brick nuggets.:)
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

On all my commercial accounts which deal with the plubic such as banks , stores and doctors offices i sweep the lots every sat and sun after church. Price varies but still good money. Most all the Business around here require this on your contracts. Marks Mowing Service
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry i meant public, never was to good a typing. Mark
  6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We have had good luck switching a couple of Echo backpack blowers over to vacuums. The bags wear out kind of quickly, but the units work. They even pick up other debris, like leaves, etc. that might collect in a doorway.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I blow everything I can into the turf areas, then run over the grass with my Walker. The GHS deck picks up all the debris.
  8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

EZ REACH mechanical hand....save the mulch. Pre-M the cig areas hard and just pick 'em out.....no rake, well every now and then....but try not to disturb the mulch. Just hand pull them with the EZ REACH mechanical hand.......they sell for about $25.;)
  9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

In the turf area what about a billy goat vac?
  10. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Where can I find the EZ REACH? I've been looking for one since last year. Also how long are they? I want something for when I'm on my Lazer. Hate stopping and getting off to pick up garbage.