Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by hdvrod, Mar 16, 2006.

1. hdvrod

hdvrod LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business and I'm looking for someone in Cincinnati who has some extra lawns that I could pick up. Not sure how this would work or if it's even realistic, but I thought I should give it a try. If you are interested or have any advice for a "new guy" I would appreciate any input.

2. skagman2006

skagman2006 LawnSite Member

what part of cincy?

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Still working on getting some lawns myself. IF I get some in an area I can't then I could send them your way. Where abouts are you? In the city?:usflag:

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Put your name and phone number on your truck. Do a good job on the same day every week,return phone calls,don't wear Mega Death t shirts etc. with your pants to your ankles,that kinda stuff will turn off your average customer.I am in the Colerain Twp. area but I do not refer new business to other companies because it makes me look bad when they don't follow thru.I do use sub contractors for tree work which we don't do.Hdv, you should allow private messages to be sent to you from this site because that is where you will get the most usefull and specific info.What you read on the board is, mmm a bunch of bs or not specific to this area in many cases.
    I am glad to see the Cincy folks at least know how to type:)seeing some of the other posts and trying to figure out what they are saying you will understand why they will be out of business shortly.
    Fliers,I asume you are from the east, I was working a dozen or so fert jobs in Terwlligers and other hoods when I looked at the mailboxes,two fliers and a biz card for lawn care,these people just throw these things away...word of mouth seems to be the way to go. We are estabilished and have a steady customer base so it is easy for me to say hang in there, if you are good and reliable,they will beat your door down.

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said!

6. Steppenwolf

Thanks.
    Lawncare fliers are going out now,maids are next and then the painters and later in the summer the blacktop sealant guys come out and the yearly cycle goes on.
    Here is a cold sales call hint. You are out tooling around in august,one of our hot, humid, hate to be outside type of days.You notice a yard that was always kept in perfect shape( ya just notice these things in this biz) and then it starts going down hill,long and shaggy,unkempt looking.It's too hot for the son to cut,daddy is out playing golf or the cutting for beer and cig money cutter says it is too hot to cut, could be your chance to walk up to the door and say hey.
    In the end ya gotta build your biz on you being GOOD and RELIABLE,that seems to be the two most important parts of this business,I should say this also,with customers who care about their yards.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Hey, there. Where are you in Cincy? If you are in an area I don't work in maybe I can give you a few as they come along. I have a couple that I don't want right now and I am planning on dropping, but I don't know that you would want them either!
    Jason

8. Steppenwolf

Hope you guys got a little sunburnt like I did today.Got 12 cut today. With the warm temps and ferts being put down by this time next week things should be knee deep.The season is in full swing...............

9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

My employee got sun burnt real good today he should have wore sunscreen which I provide.

10. Steppenwolf

Gateway,
    How did your testing go awhile back?Get everything you went after?