circle bed, how to fig. mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CuttinUP, May 14, 2005.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

It has been too long since Mr Chandlers Geometry class. How do I figure how much mulch for a circle bed? 1 bed is 18 feet across from side to side, the other is 11 feet across. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :waving:

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

The area of a circle is twice the radius (a line from the edge to the center) times 3.14 (pi)

That will give you the square ft. ...you figure it out from there ...how deep do you want the mulch?

in your ? bed is 18ft across, so .... 2x9 x 3.14 ...around 57sq ft

Edit ...Might as well show you the rest ...57 square feet, then divide the area by 12 (the number of inches in a foot) to find out how many cubic feet it will take for one inch of mulch, in this case 4.75 cubic feet. Multiply that by how many inches of mulch you want to add, for 2" you will need 9.5 cubic feet; for 3" you will need 14.25 cubic feet and so on.

There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard.

3. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

use this calcualor. It is great. I have it saved to my desktop...well sh**. It says that it is an invalid file type. On the searh, type in mulch calcualtor. You can find it like that or give your e-mail and I can try and send it like that.

4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Kris,

Hate to correct you, but what you've got there is the circumference of a circle. The area of a circle is the radius squared (multiplied by itself) times pi. So, the area of a circle 18 feet in diamater would be 9*9*3.14, which would be approximately 254 square feet. If you want to put down 3 inches of mulch, that would be about 64 cubic feet of mulch, or about 2 1/3 yards.

A circle 11 feet in diameter would be about 95 square feet. At 3 inches deep, that's about 24 cubic feet, or a little less than a yard.

Hope this helps,

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Opps ..Im sorry, your are correct. Hey ...least he now knows how much edging he will need. :)

The area of a circle can be found by multiplying pi ( π = 3.14) by the square of the radius.