1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Circles in grass????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Apr 29, 2005.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok I am pretty sure what is going on with these darn circles. I have a new client that I just picked up. I mow all of my lawns at 3" and mowed his 3 times at 3". He Ferted a week before I took over and has been growing at a rate of 5-6 inches a week.
    He wanted me to cut it shorter 2.5 inches so I did telling him that I didn't think it would look good and the whole 1/3d rule spiel.
    Any ways long story short. after mowing at 2.5" it seemed to leave circles in the turf where I emptied the bag and scalped several areas.
    All of my settings were right on and level but he seems to think that I did something wrong even though I told him I did not think it was wise to cut lower in the first place.
    My question is what do you guys think caused this?
    And how can I prevent it again. Knowing the 1/3d rule.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

The blades scalping the yard as stated. If the turf is growing as fast as you said, mow it next week at 3" and I bet they will be gone. Don't let customers talk you into doing what you know is not right. The taller the better as long as it looks good (better root length as long as he waters correctly, better weed germination resistance, etc.) Good luck!
  3. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Another possibility... applicator error.
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The circles are from the wet grass that was stuck to the underside of your deck, being driven into the turf while the mower was sitting still with the blades on.
  5. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

Sometimes when I answer the phone and forget, and leave the blades on (sitting still), it will leave blade circles also. What usually solves the problem is to lower your anti-scalp wheels. Better yet, check your owners manual.
    I have customers that I cannot convince that longer is better. I usually tell them I cannot adjust striping kit and anti-scalpers each week and drop them. Plus not to mention the extra strain on the motor. I will not take on a lawn of full bermuda. But LCO is my second job and I can afford to fire a few. I am a park manager of 240 acres with 30 acres of that being athletic fields so I am pretty tired after 5. Hope this helps

6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

You answer the phone while you're mowing?! ;)
  7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you set the blades a 3" and tell him it's at 2 1/2".
  8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't BAG and your problem is solved! So many problems solved by not BAGGING.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A 1/2" is not enough to matter except with turf quality and appearance.

I'd tell the customer this and refuse to mow it lower than 3" for it to look like crap.

I mow nothing closer than 3" period at any time. I tell the customer about health, cultural practice, turf quality and apprearance. If this does not hook them, then I simply state that all my other customers have no problem with it and I will not adjust everything on my mower to accomodate just ONE person..... and I won't.
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is using a honda HrC216HXA mower. I hate to bag but with the amount of growth and wet turf we have If I don't I will spend all day on one lawn. It is rye grass not warm weather bermuda or other grass.