circular saw blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bare spot, Apr 2, 2008.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone every use one of these things, hooks up on the cutting head of stihl trimmers? am doing a cleanup of a size-able property next wk. and will be bringing it along (got to get one first). no idea if it will see lot of action yet and got the saw but looks like could have some fun with it on some smaller stuff. so wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts on it, thanks.
  2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i could not live without one i have a small farm and it is a mandate. i use the one that looks like it has chainsaw teeth.real easy to sharpen with a chainsaw file and will cut down anything.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have one, its hard to describe what it looks like but the blade has 4 big teeth on works really well. I hope you have a unit with a lot of power as you will need it or it will take a long time to spin up or recover when you hit some tough brush. I used to run mine on my smaller 2 cycle, but now that I have the KM130 its what I use.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i have used the Circular saw style, and I have used the kind that has the chain saw chain in a few spots around the disc as well.....the chainsaw ones are so much better....I put em on a shin t 230 with no problems....its the proverbial hot knife through butter....
  5. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

I've used them for years. I first used them in Oregon with the Forest Service. I have tried just about every different model blade and have recently settled on a Beaver blade which is easy to sharpen and does a great job. A WORD OF CAUTION - This can be a very dangerous piece of equipment. Make sure that there aren't any other people working within the diameter of the operator and saw. I.E. if you hit something or the blade kicks out, it can swing the saw around a circle with the operator being the center of the circle.
  6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the Shindawa one, it has I think 4 chainsaw type notches in it, very good tool, it cuts ornamental grasses like nothing else!