1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Circular Spots on Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by johnb, May 12, 2008.

1. johnb

johnb LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

New to the site and, and what a great resource it is! I have some circular spots on my lawn that the grass is not growing correctly like the rest of my lawn. The area is between 2 hoses and gets less sun than the rest of the lawn. After the first spring fertilizing application the rest of my lawn looks great except this area. The circular spots are about 10"-12" in diameter and cover about a 7-8 square foot area. Grubs? Insects? Any Suggestions?:confused:
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Take some pics, but it sounds like you may have Necrotic ring spot, a nasty fungus.
  3. johnb

johnb LawnSite Member

I will get some pics tonight. I know my neighbor doesn't take care of there lawn like i do, and it is not as healthy, and it may have migrated over. Thanks for the help!
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen more ring spot around here so far this spring than I've seen in a very long time.
    I guess it's because of the type of spring we're having.

The problem could be simply fairy ring, too.
  5. johnb

johnb LawnSite Member

Lawn Tamer,

Do you have an email address i can send a couple of pictures to?
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Fairy ring was the first thing that popped into my head.
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Please keep your lifestyle preferences to yourself.
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Just click on the website on my signature line, that will take you to our website, hit the "contact us" and send away, pics are easy to post here to, just click on the paperclip and you can browse out to where ever you have pics on your computer. If the rings are 10-12 inches in overlapping patterns, I would suspect necrotic ring spot. Especially if the rings are depressed, feel them with your hand. If you just have one or two rings in the lawn, it very well may be fairy ring.

Here is a pic of NRS NRS.jpg

9. johnb

johnb LawnSite Member

try these photos of the spots

grass 002.jpg

grass 001.jpg
  10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Was there a treee or shrub planted in those spots before?
    Could there possible be some kind of wood under the turf, new wood or rotting roots will pull lots of nutrients out of the surrounding soil.