City Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by old oak lawn, Feb 4, 2008.

1. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

getting ready to make a set of bids for city grounds maintenance. different bids for parks-city buildings-and 2 cemetery's. i know they are looking for the best price for each and two different lco did them last year so they will split them up. all are mow/trim pick up trash jobs no fert.the contract is for 1 year with offer to renew if all goes well. question is how has city bids been for you guys? has it been good money or a pain to do. and is last years winning bid open to the public. just want to know what they were paying,i know my cost of doing business so i wont lower that. so how has the city work been for you. -- thanks

2. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

Hit or miss, my cemetery has been great, the bid meeting I went to today for a new bid however was very discouraging. All municipal bids here in CT fall under freedom of info act so you just have to ask. Pay attention to details though because bid specs frequently change year to year, and the cost of business as you know is sky rocketting. So while it can be nice validation at times it can also be very misleading.
    The best thing you can do is keep notes on the different bids as you hear information about them. I actually have notes on several accounts that at this point are probably four or five times larger than anything i can handle right now. The idea, I know the man hours and equipment used so write it down and if I'm ever in a position to bid I have some actual site production figures with out have ever having operated a machine on these sites.

Best of luck.

3. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help gobbles2700. any one else do any maintenance for a city.

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i bid on a cemetery per hour @ 120hr for two guys running two scags and one guy on a whip. the other guy bid 13hr for only himself on a old azz toro front mount or 9hr when he was whipping. i saw his prices and laughed but he won all three, now if he made money i dont know. what a joke.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no way that joker could be making money and paying his workers too. Could he?

Definatly not paying taxes and insurance nor buying new blades or whatever for that matter.

In our state I cannot see bids being good right now, the people just voted in a property tax cut. That 13hr/9hr guy would be winning here too....:nono: