city conpost stinks

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GreenthumbGA, Apr 22, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I have sold a couple of seed jobs that I was planning on using the cities compost as the org matter.

I have a JRCO spreader mounted to my orange tiger(scag) in which I experimented trying to spread this stuff with this weekend. Needless to say, it did not work. To damp, did not fall and flow through the spreader. Plus, to get good coverage on any particular area, I would have to sit in one area for ever. I would look fairly dumb doing this when all this equipment is supposed to be for speed.

Here nor there....

I was concerned about the smell of this stuff. The city makes it all day long by grinding into windrows for a year. IT IS FREE!!

But it smells like.....uh.....not good. Not stinky like to much greens in a pile, but kinda like gas.

It is black and when sifted, fluffy and seems that it would be superior org matter for my apps. It is just this smell.......

I know a good answer would be have it tested, but I lack the cash and time to wait (sad huh?)

any hoo.......just wanted to put this to the org junkies....cause you rock

2. GreenthumbGA

nothing like stinky cons that post

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The best thing to do with that is let it sit longer. It is not finished if it stinks.
    Smell of gas? ;) Perhaps too much of an anaerobic environment. or could it possibly be contaminated?

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Its a shame, they probably have some good inputs but lack the knowledge or maybe the want to compost well. just because you push it into a pile does not mean it was composted

Does it smell like ammonia? does it really smell like gasoline? if it does it must be contaminated with gasoline or deisel fuel. I would be cautious and pile it on some test plants first.

Green compost will be filled with pathogens and seeds, not good for your customers

5. GreenthumbGA

It is not ammonia. And it defiantly does not have that soothing earthy smell that good finished compost has.

What bummer........

I wish I could do an attachment and let ya'll smell it.

I'm going to do it any way on a couple of yards and see if it works out. If not, I'll fix the yards somehow and drive on. I sold a twelve hundred dollar seed job yesterday that I need to start my the end of next week. Something is going to happen.

6. GreenthumbGA

It all smells like this. I have serious doubts that it all could be contaminated.

But my serious doubts could be seriously.....wrong

dave

7. ICT Bill

Dave, Ask them if they get it tested, if they have a state permit to sell it as a soil amendment they should have CURRENT test results for heavy metals. All states require testing results for soil amendments

8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

well had a long response typed when the solar went out, back to fpl darn:cry:

long and short they are pushing the same cr@p here same smells diesel or petrol of some kind, and tests, fagetaboutit,they say that they use fed guidelines(140F and turned three times) what they did not say is it stinks and rots in a pile of $h*t until they turn it 3 times and off it goes, not a good compost mostly anaerobes and mold, and its a shame to see it, they have good tools and plenty of inputs, and then they add some gas station fill and piant chips and its not fit to cap a landfill with, so they pawn it of on some poor shmuck

even saw a basidocarp laden palm go in the chipper, i could only shed a tear

9. ICT Bill

I wish I knew what a basidocarp laden palm was !!

Gotta picture? it sounds great, I want one please

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok knock on wood and throw salt, GANDODERMA