City Maps advertising?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by KS_Grasscutter, May 28, 2008.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Had a guy call me today, wanting me to advertise with some outfit called City Maps. Supposedly, they advertise a bunch of local companies of all industries, and have a business card sized ad for each on the back of a map of your city. These are handed out to local realty companies, banks, etc. As the conversation carried on, the prices got lower and lower. Finally ended up with a 2x3? for less then $100. I figure if I can get ONE account out of this it will pay off.

Then I talked to a LCO buddy of mine and he said it's a total scam. So, did I just get screwed out of $100?

FWIW, the number came across the cell phone as unlisted, and a google search showed nothing. Didn't realize either of these at the time, as I was in the middle of BFE driving home from a funeral.

2. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Been there, done that! Got hit with that one this year. Can't believe I fell for it! The truth is that we got some of the maps dropped off at our office, and they expect us to hand them out. If their in my office already, why do I need to hand them an ad for our business?

I figure if you are in an area with a lot of new homes being built (your probably not in the US if this is the caseLOL) and the houses are for people from out of town, then it might pay off. For us, we do installations only so if someone needs a map to get around our city they probably do not own a home in it. Can't believe I got caught on this one. They caught me on a saturday and it sounded so cheap that I figured what could it hurt - it hurt $225 that's what it could hurt!:hammerhead:

3. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

Its a waste to advertise right now anyway

4. KS_Grasscutter

Well I need all the lawns I can get at this point, something about loan payments to make or something:laugh:

5. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I did something similar this spring, yet to hear back from them. Starting to look like I got screwed.

6. KS_Grasscutter

Did you already pay, or is it C.O.D.? Thats how mine is, so I am actually kinda hoping they don't show up.

7. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Please explain this one to me?

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

hope things work out for the best for you guys

9. Herrick

Put it on a credit card, I guess I may still have an option to dispute it through the credit card...

10. Herrick

Finally got a hold of them, said the project was turned over to thier graphic arts department about 2 weeks ago... hopefully I'll see something soon.