City Mowing Rig

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by gavin478, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Here's my new updated mowing setup. I still need to make some more changes to make it a permanent member of the fleet, but It's on it's way.

I have the Quick, a Honda 21, echo blower, and 2 string trimmers in the back.

It was a former police vehicle, I bought it dirt cheap and it only as 54k on the clock.

DSCN3469.JPG

DSCN3470.JPG

DSCN3471.JPG

DSCN3472.JPG

DSCN3473.JPG

ncpete likes this.
  2. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Rock on man,lookin good,can u get some more pics of the handhelds,thanks.

3. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

You don't wanna see my handhelds haha, My echo blower I've had for forever, but my trimmers are all home depot models.

As I mow foreclosed homes I come across all sorts of homelite's and ryobi's etc when I do shed cleanouts so thats what I use. I run them till they die then swap out for the next. I have 3 more working trimmers in storage and 3 more I'm yet to get running again.

4. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

yeah,hey so what,my stuff aint nothing to brag about,i got all homeowner stuff lower end echos and ryobi and poulan so dont worry,cub cadet 33'' and regular stuff but it gets the job sone and save money.

5. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Exactly, even my Honda mower I pulled out of a shed cleanout, I keep my overhead low and profits high. I laugh at everyone driving around with a pickup and a 16' trailer, getting 12mpg and spending 20k on equipment. I have less than 4k invested in my whole setup and I can make just as much as they can.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I hope your Quick is electric start or you'd have a heck of a time pulling the recoil rope in that van. Good way to keep your overhead low. :)

7. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

SERIOUSLY! You think you are making as much money as these guys with trucks and commercial equipment? LMAO Your the reason why pros hate this biz! You come in in your mini van with non commercials, probably in cuit offs, none liabiltyt insured, no license to spray and you have signs that are every corner saying cuts starting at $10. I know i am bashing and everybody starts somewhere but we have to keep the green industry classy. I havwe heard from local Horticuilture teachers in NC that the state is going to try and mandate the landscape and lawn care biz just like irrigation. Licensing requirments! Good luck sorry to bash but buy a truck and trailer and commercial equipment!

8. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL! I saw a guy the other day with a mower in the trunk of his car, his weed-eater and garbage cans and stuff in the back seat, I couldn't help but laugh... We've all started somewhere, some a little odd in my opinion....

9. exmark60

exmark60 LawnSite Member

You still haven't discovered the space bar?

10. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

HAHA

Ive had a truck, trailer, and mowers that cost 10k in the past, which is why I can laugh. I actually still have my GMC, and It's my personal vehicle now.

I run an LLC, which is fully insured, as well as the van is owned by the company and carries full insurance. I am not licensed but I only do maintenance work which falls under not needing licensing in the state. If I were to branch out further I would follow the necessary legal requirements. I have employees and run payroll legally also.

As far as $10 cuts?, I won't fire up the mower for less than $30, and actually normally make more than that. My current revenue from foreclosed properties runs close to $95 an hour with expenses running around $15 an hour not including labor costs, which are around $18 an hour.

Although I may not look it, I am a professional service provider, I don't need to spend $20k on new fancy gas guzzling equipment to give you a run for your money. I hope that everyone here can take this as an example of an efficient, clean setup before they buy that next big purchase. I have made labor rather than equipment the variable cost in my business model, and as gas and equipment costs continue to rise we may see more people doing the same.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.