City Parks & Rec bought out by LCO

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cahermit, Oct 1, 2006.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

Modesto, Ca Parks and Recreation department recently experienced a drastic 'relief' of man power (layoffs), as they sold the maintenance of ALL parks to a single large local LCO. That sucks. I would have loved to have just 1 or 2 parks on my route, that could have boosted my business... Not to mention that my brother got layed off because of the change. Anyone else seeing the trend in cities ousting the parks and rec divisions?

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

All over the country they're privatizing public services. The private sector can do it cheaper. Mostly because it costs too much to have employees on the public payroll in the way of benefits and it saves in equipment costs.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About 90% of the mowing at our City-owned facilities has been farmed out to contractors. However, our City put it all out for bid. The bid was divided into about 10 chunks of work, and you could bid on any or all of them. We got 4 of the sections. Trugreen got all the rest. I am surprised your town was not legally required to put this work out for bids. The deal you describe would not be legal here in Texas.

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i think the townships around here do all their own work they all have so so so much money they dont know what to do with it all

5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

The hosp where I have my F/T job contracted the shop out about 6 years ago to save money
    Last year they brought us back in the hosp to save money
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

What exactly does it take and what are the processes involved of getting that kind of a contract?

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the local towns up here still do their own work on rec facilities, parks, and roads.