City permits required?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Luvs2Play, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Just curious as to what cities require permits for mowing, landscaping, etc. We seem to have a bunch of LCO's coming to town from 40 - 50 miles away, only cutting a few lawns. Several of the LCO's here have decided to go to the city council and see if we can make it so we need to get a permit to do lawncare, thus proving to the city and public that we carry the insurance, pay the taxes, are a legitimate business. We think a $250 per year fee would help us to actually make a better living by making everyone play on an even field. The city would benefit by collecting the permit fees, the county would benefit from the property taxes, and the LCO's would benefit by getting a more professional image. I realize we are overtaxed as it is, but it might help in the long run. This way a customer could call and check to see if we are legit before signing for a service. Also, with proper education, customers will know what to look for, and may shy away from the ones without the permit numbers on their vehicles. Not foolproof, but the local inspector said his office would watch for non-compliance if it goes through.
    Does this work for any of you?

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I must digress...

More to the point, that would really suck.
    Hoops to jump through, unnecessary money spent.
    I'm Glad you and your friends are out past Seward.

Your trying to use laws to shut-out your competition, dont we have enough laws yet? It's gotten to the point a guy needs a permit to take out the trash nowadays.
    The last thing we need to do is draw the attention of any lawmakers. :nono:

3. yep , thats what we all need more permits to fool with and more taxes to pay.

4. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

You may open up a can of worms. The guys around you may get the same idea and make their area of town do the same. Then YOU may have to buy a permit in 10 differant places to mow. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

5. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am not trying to start something, just trying to help all the legit LCO's out
    Okay, maybe the cost of a permit could be less, I don't care if it's $1.00. As far as a can of worms, the larger LCO's here are all in favor of this. Of course we are a town of about 20,000 people, still plenty of work for everyone. This may help everyone that has a new pickup payment and lawnmower to think about something other than cutrate lawn mowing to suppliment their income, thus making it a more competitive "business". Not to run anyone out of business, but like contractors, plumbers, and electricians, there is proof by permit that these companies are carrying insurance and paying property taxes. The main reason for this is, for instance, if you hire an uninsured LCO, one of the workers gets hurt on a customers property, the customer is liable for it. If a LCO without insurance throws a rock through a kids head, what is going to happen? We all know the answer to that. Thanks again.

6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Don't bother all your going to do is waste YOUR money. Your competion won't bother buying the "permit" and no one will enforce it.......so all you acopmished is wasting YOUR tie & YOUR money. Take the time & money and solict more work, or better yet put in in a rainy day fund.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

the thing is, the non legit guys will still be doing it, because there will be no policing of the policy.

There are plenty of laws requiring you to do the right thing and plenty of "illegal" contractors and plumbers out there working in your town. IMO bad idea. Just another tax for the legit people that force them to charge more or accept less profit than the fly by nights.

8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

"Local Inspector"... my skin crawls. ;)

The fact is.. we're NOT contractors, electricians, plumbers or any other form of "trade" that requires much study, just some practice. We have no building codes that need to be learned and adhered to.

As far as insurance goes, one only need to get a policey and let it lapse after getting your permit - it would accomplish nothing.

Liberal Democrat?
    Think a union might be good, too? :dizzy:

In the end, no matter how you try to explain it, you are looking down your nose at other lco's, trying to protect your "turf" (haha, funny eh?), and using a law to thwart competition. :mad: