1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

city sprays non-selective herbicide all lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Aug 28, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

In one town that I work in, the city has purchased a JD Gator equipped with a 100 gallon tank with a single nozzle to apply non-selective herbicide to the grass on the curbside of everyone's lawn. Many people do not edge their property and the bermuda and St. Augustine sends out runners 18" long onto the street.
    I mow and spray lawns in this town. When I have everthing green and pretty the city will kill the outside 6" of the lawn leaving a band of dead grass. It is really aggravating. They spray all lawns whether the lawn is edged or not.

Are city employess exempt from having to have herbicide applicators licenses? I have recognized the guy on the gator as one of the garbage truck drivers. Does anyone else know of a town that does this?
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

ONE TOWN I WORK IN DOES THAT CRAP TOO. IT DRIVES ME INSANE.sorry for the caps. but to answer your question ,if only 1 person employeed by the city possesses a valid license the others employeed by the city can legaly work off of it if properly trained by the licensed person. by the way while we have a commercial license usualy to where it is illegal for them to do private applications for hire like we can .
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Mississippi requires that anyone who applies a pesticide in their line of work or for payment, must be licensed.
  4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

either tell your customers to complain to the city or you go complain. also, i'm sure the guy is real careless with the chemicals. go to the city council and complain about the city spraying unnecessary chemicals on lawns that are maintained correctly. can round up contiminate drinking water if the worker was to spray it in water that has collected by the curb lane and will run into the sewers? i know it breaks down quickly in soils, but what about if sprayed right into water on the street?
  5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

In florida, which is a strict state,the law is there only needs to be a licenced sprayman to spray an rup. He can oversee 15 people at one time.
    Technically as long as you are only spraying roundup you dont need a licence.
    This is called a public applicator licence. It is for government employees.
    Iwould imagine it is similar in your city.
  6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Have your customers complain to the city. I'm sure the sprayer has an on-off switch that even this garbage truck driver can operate.

Get the city to change its policy of spraying properly edged curbing.....
  7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

There is a huge difference between a license and a permit in my state. If you work for someone, you get a permit. Anyone who can read on write can get a permit.

Probably a quarter of people spraying for money in my area are unlicensed and I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.
  8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yeh but he means someone is spraying for the city not for hire.
  9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Now that's damn lazy; to not lay off the trigger for a house that obviously does not need or want grass killer.

Is there any kind of schedule or can you find out when they are spraying?

If you can get a heads up on the schedule, just have the customer hose it off as soon as they pass.

Does your state have some kind of requirements for signs on sprayed properties? At least make them follow the same rules as everybody else.
  10. coyoteman

coyoteman LawnSite Member

In our town they get us, or our competitor to do all there chem apps. They are not insured for pesticide use and applying without insurance could land the municipality in deep water.