1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

City Surplus/Used Equipment auctions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David C., May 5, 2008.

1. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a used Z I need for a "spare" mower---somewhere along the lines of 48" to 60" cut commercial grade

I've noticed sometimes that surrounding cities will have used mowing equipment for auction

I want to see if anyone has ever purchased used Z's at auction and what I need to look for when checking the equipment out on "Viewing" day before the sale
  2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

3 words about city mowers for sale; BEAT TO HELL
  3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I would check craigslist, ebay, or the used equipment section of this site before I would buy from the city. The stuff they sell has to be in bad condition before they sell it.
  4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I picked up a ferris walkbehind(not sure of model), and a 61" ferris ztr with a bagger from a city sale. Both machines were like new, but around 4 yrs old, with very low hrs. Paid $2200 for both. Sold them for $4500. Was a lucky find. City stoped doing the lawns in house, and contracted the work out.

I have been at other city/county sales, and most things are well used..
  5. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

I went to a bankrupt lco auction at a local auction warehouse, I got a stihl mm55 powerhead for 113 bucks. Another guy got a 36" gravely walkbehind with 300 hours for 1100 bucks. They had some good deals and some not so good ones.